Some recent observations....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Some recent observations....

Post  Rickster on Tue 03 Jun 2014, 1:50 pm

Hi all,

I thought i'd post some recent findings with my engine which maybe useful to others.

I have found, after cooling down the following day, the engine is very stiff, almost seized when I turn the flywheel. The piston rod on the low cylinder was dry and the regulator completely seized up, bending the rod every time to the extent I had to use both hands to open the regulator. Sometimes this was accompanied by a squeak when turning the engine over cold.

I decided to change the lubricator for a mechanical ratchet one. Since then, I use noticeably more oil, but importantly, their is no squeak, no dry piston rod and the regulator does not seize solid.

The added bonus of the ratchet version allows one to see the pump ram is moving and delivering oil. I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with the roller clutch version, but I do do a lot of road miles and it is certainly reassuring to see and hear (when on tickover) the ratchet pawl going round.

I also noticed I wasn't using oil in the left hand main bearing cap (the one nearest the crank pins) I took the bearing cap off to discover the whole bearing had rotated around its housing about 70 degrees so the two holes were not allowing oil into the bearing itself - worth checking.

Finally the CSK bolt holding the right hand side gear cluster onto the square 2nd shaft end, has a habit of working loose even with loctite - I have now physically peened the bolt over and solved this. Took me a while to find it first time as the gears were rubbing on the left side gear guard. It was only when I saw the whole cluster was moving about 3mm laterally, I realised!

The water pump was also not particularly efficient on mine, and I found the clack keep letting by but not enough pressure was generated by the pump itself. I added a globe valve on the return pipe to the tender and now it is perfect. I get less noise from the pump and now hardly need the injector - even on a road run. When I use the injector, the tender water temp. is also cooler as boiler water cannot now blow back into the tender and it is far more efficient. I know it's not right, but it is effective and is not unusual, I'm told amongst us miniature owners of all types.

Trying to get to grips with the governor now, and it works - of sorts but not smoothly. This has taken a back seat since I have begun to concentrate on building the 4" BB1.

I hope this is useful guys and gals
cheers

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2010-02-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Some recent observations....

Post  Kevster on Tue 03 Jun 2014, 2:34 pm

Thanks for the tips Rick,

I changed my lubricator for a ratchet version as you have, thats how the full size are so had to have it on mine and as you said you can easily see and hear it working.
Will keep an eye on the others things once im up and running.

Thanks

Kev

Kevster

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 2:25 am

I have begun to concentrate on building the 4" BB1.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

Very impressed.

This to me is the ultimate model.

But you need a pair and a scale plough too..  Cool (eventually) Laughing 

i hope you will keep us updated with the build..

regards
Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2009-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickster on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 1:43 pm

Hi Nick,

I didn't realise you were building one as well. Well done!

It's the engine I always wanted, so I now have one to play with and one to build. I've almost completed the front wheels, gears are cut, including the bevel drives, cylinder block, boiler and smoke box mostly done. Still a very long way to go though!

cheers

Rick

Rickster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 on Thu 05 Jun 2014, 4:00 am

Sadly Rick, im not building a BB1 but will be very interested in seeing the finished machine.

I don't have the skills to scratch build so STW was the best way to go and the Burrell DCC is a good compromise.  

I'm a fowler man really hence me driving a full size fowler, so good to see another Fowler 4" in production. you don't see many.

If a company such as STW did a BB1 I think they would do very well.  

Its comparable to a Showmans in a way.  Its a model with a specific purpose and anyone with a desire or interest in that field would want one. A great rally exhibit.

I like the rubber strake idea on this example.

sonick45

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2009-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickster on Thu 05 Jun 2014, 10:34 am

Hi Nick,

I've driven that very engine some months ago before Dave Gibson sold it at auction. It is a very comfortable ride on rubbers but I'm going with metal strakes and rubber tyres vulcanised onto a metail tyre over them so I can remove them when at rallies and put 'em on for the road.

I did try and get some interest for STW to build a kit BB1 but I don't think there was enough interest. On the road, the worst thing is no brakes! at about 1.1 tonnes fully fuelled, I am thinking of a ways to add a brake without being too obvious for safety sake.

I'll post some pics if anyone is interested though this maybe isn't the right forum unless people want to see it progressing.

cheers

Rick

Rickster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Further observations

Post  Steve Traill on Fri 06 Jun 2014, 2:41 pm

I had a squeak, the solution was to gap the piston rings, they were too tight.  I put a 5 thou gap by grinding the end of the ring with a dremmel.  No squeak & ran smoothly.
The circular bearing was always going to be prone to rotation.  I used a masonry nail as a locating pin in the bottom of the bearing so one takes a bit out on each one, you can still rotate the two halves to remove them.
The lubricator choice has fors & against for both, the STW is good when you notch back as a small movement still rotates it.  The toothed lubricator is good & reliable but is prone to not work when you notch back as the movement isn't enough to move the wheel a hole tooth, so it does this back & forth jig but doesn't pump any oil in.  You pays yer money & makes yer choice!

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:02 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top