Burrell Single Cylinder 4inch for Sale

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Burrell Single Cylinder 4inch for Sale

Post  RSJ14385 on Mon 10 Mar 2014, 8:03 am

Hi
I am reluctantly selling my Burrell 4inch Single Cylinder. The engine is a Modelworks (Steam Traction World) engine which was started in 2005 and completed in 2007. As I understand it the engine was then not used until 2010.
I purchased the engine in 2012 and it has proved an absolute delight to own. It is truly the best steaming engine I have known.
The engine is in excellent mechanical condition and is painted in the traditional Burrell colours of green with vermillion wheels.
It has a steel boiler and copper tubes (which probably explains why it steams so freely). The engine will come with an Insurance approved hydraulic certificate and a 12 month steam test. (to be taken at end of March).

The seat can be changed in a matter of seconds from a single fixed seat to a double "floating" seat large enough for two adults to site side by side.

I am only selling to aid the purchase of a 6inch.

£14950

Please PM or call/text me on 07860 378996.  Please email berkeley@dandosurveying.co.uk if you would like me to email some photos.

Last edited by RSJ14385 on Mon 10 Mar 2014, 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding photos)

RSJ14385

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burrell Single Cylinder 4inch for Sale

Post  LiveSteam on Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:22 pm

Hi

Whats the difference between a 'Modelworks' engine and a STW one, may I ask, interesting that it has copper tubes especially after my post regarding steel boilers.

Cheers

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2013-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Modelworks

Post  RSJ14385 on Tue 11 Mar 2014, 2:24 am

Hi

In brief, Steam Traction World was formed after Modelworks closed for business.  As I understand it Dean and Steve both worked for Modelworks and then set up Steam Traction World when Modelworks closed.

I am sure there are plenty of threads that explain exactly what happened.

Regards

RSJ14385

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Early Modelworks engines

Post  Steve Traill on Tue 11 Mar 2014, 7:12 am

The early Modelworks engines had the 'racing chimney' !!! (narrower than usual) which was redesigned on the second batch. Some were modified so looking at the photo's this is either a modded one or a second batch. All the early ones had copper tubes & I've not heard of anyone having any problems. There were one or two other modifications but they are a very good engine and the alterations were only to make building easier & not that anything needed improving. Having had both chimneys on my engine I can say that they make absolutely no difference to the running of the engine and only a slight difference to the 'bark' when the engine is working hard. The bigger chimney (I think) looks better but the smaller one sounds better (slightly).

The only weak point was the rear tyres being glued on, ok if you only run on grass but if you did any road work on hot days the tyres would inevitably peel off. Vulcanisation being the only answer.

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 607
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Modelworks Modifications

Post  RSJ14385 on Tue 11 Mar 2014, 8:56 am

Hi

My engine has had the chimney modification and the water pump modification. Both completed by previous owner.

The rubbers are glued and to be honest one of the outside ones did come loose a week or so after I took ownership.

I rubbed down the wheel (with a flap wheel) until the steel was completely clean. I used the Isoflex primer and the Isoflex liquid rubber exactly as per the instructions on the tin and as per the Steam Traction World manual. I left the wheel to dry for three weeks and have not had any problems since.

I attend a few rallies each year but most of the time the engine is used on the road taking myself and the kids on a five mile loop. This has been done numerous times and I have had no problem whatsoever with the wheel/rubber since.

RSJ14385

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Wed 12 Mar 2014, 3:32 pm

Thanks folks that's really helpful.

As a non engineer type and more a buy to drive/tinker with owner, I am also wondering if parts (if I ever needed any would be same/similar to todays STW 4" Burrell engine. I realise that at the end of the majority of parts are just a bit of steel that's been shaped which to be honest could be made but having the security of being able to get a part off the shelf does make life easier.
Also does the boiler with copper tubes run into the same constraints (tube replacement etc ) to a full steel boiler. Are there pro's and cons for either ?

Cheers again for your help.

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Burrell - For Sale

Post  RSJ14385 on Wed 12 Mar 2014, 4:02 pm

Hi Livesteam

If you are interested in buying my engine please give me a call on 07860 378996 and I am sure I will be able to answer your questions and queries.

It will be far easier than backwards and forwards through the forum!

Regards

RSJ14385

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Wed 12 Mar 2014, 4:13 pm

PM sent

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Burrell Price Reduction

Post  RSJ14385 on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 11:10 am

Engine must be sold, new steamer arriving soon.

Offers near £14250

RSJ14385

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RSJ14385 on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 3:36 pm

Engine now sold

RSJ14385

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:52 am

If anyone was wondering.......... it wasnt me  Crying or Very sad 

Sadly couldnt get there quick enough and thus was pipped at the post, ah well my search continues.

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Thu 27 Mar 2014, 5:53 am

LiveSteam wrote:If anyone was wondering.......... it wasnt me  Crying or Very sad 

Sadly couldnt get there quick enough and thus was pipped at the post, ah well my search continues.

Is the 4" Foden control model still for sale, that could be a could project for you?

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Thu 27 Mar 2014, 8:00 am

bjwlancashire wrote:
LiveSteam wrote:If anyone was wondering.......... it wasnt me  Crying or Very sad 

Is the 4" Foden control model still for sale, that could be a could project for you?

I did look at the control Foden and wondered about it, but it comes back to space required to strip/paint and paint it, that and the Fodens dont really do it for me, along with the fact the Mrs's just isnt going to allow me to take the lounge over  Embarassed  I've already got most of the house full of stuff as it stands and I've vowed not to get another shed/garage as I'll only fill that up with "stuff" as well  Embarassed 

I'm not really in a rush and I'm sure the right model will steam into view at somestage, until then I've got the little 5" loco to play with but thats so restrictive being that it needs rails to run on all the time  Neutral 

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Thu 27 Mar 2014, 9:19 am

LiveSteam wrote:

I'm not really in a rush and I'm sure the right model will steam into view at somestage, until then I've got the little 5" loco to play with but thats so restrictive being that it needs rails to run on all the time  Neutral 

And that is the whole reason I have a traction engine. I very nearly bought a 5" gauge pannier tank many years ago until I realised I would have to lug it to the local ME every time I wanted to see it steam. Tried 3" which couldnt handle long grass ( such as the unmown ex fallow field most rallies are held in) and kerbs and so the first engine ( 4" PRINCE, hence the name "His Majesty" as it has gone up in stature) appears and the rest as they say is history.

Your research and tentative thoughts caused that miss but at least now you have all the knowledge for the next one that comes up, which it will and you will be prepared for that. Just as an additional thought to the STW/MW option, my boiler tester is quite an accomplished engineer and has a project for a client to finish off a 4" Rushton he bought that was out of his depth. He has no drawings or castings as it was a previous engineers whim. It is a nightmare in no uncertain terms and he was commenting how easy it would be if it were an STW/MW engine as all the stuff would be readily available.

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:07 pm

highpressure wrote:Just as an additional thought to the STW/MW option, my boiler tester is quite an accomplished engineer and has a project for a client to finish off a 4" Rushton he bought that was out of his depth. He has no drawings or castings as it was a previous engineers whim. It is a nightmare in no uncertain terms and he was commenting how easy it would be if it were an STW/MW engine as all the stuff would be readily available.

...........and that is EXACTLY why I'm avoiding engineer built engines, yes they are normally works of art and often match the full size version scale to scale, but TBH, I'm not too worried if its not quite the same a the full size version, if you can put coal in it, raise steam and trundle about and have the reassurance of STW back up, then that's good enough for me Smile

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:39 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top