Lord Darby (4"RL)

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Lord Darby (4"RL)

Post  Kiwiconnection on Thu 05 May 2016, 8:46 pm

After a lot of thought I have decided to modify the supplied seat frame. My lower back and bum didnít like the pounding it was taking when negotiating some of the road finishes here in NZ. Lots of urban streets use slightly raised block paving to demark streets and sub divisions, and without springing it doesnít take long before every joint in your body starts to complain, and sometimes the teeth in your head rattle as well.
So out came the hacksaw, with a bright new blade fitted, of I went cutting with great gusto. Firstly cutting the frame into three bits. The hanging bracket, seat frame, and diagonal support. The hanging bracket was then cleaned up using an angle grinder and four 8mm pivot holes drilled into vertical frame members. The seat frame was then shortened to suit the single seat cushion supplied. A double seat frame will be added in the future. Then finally the diagonal frame was broken down to salvage the tow bars, and use the remainder of the frame members to create the new seat frame to castor interface.

I found some 1/8Ē flat plate to mount the castor on, then cut up some 25x6mm flat bar for the parallel motion and finally some 25x3mm equal angle to finish of the seat frame. The only waste from the original frame was 6 offcuts of 25mm SHS. The 25mm SHS was then cut into four pieces to form the moving seat frame and was welded to the 3mm plate and modified seat frame to create a cube type frame assembly.

The castor was then bolted to the plate and the padded seat fitted to the frame using the original supplied brackets. This gives me a little fore and aft adjustment if required. Four corresponding 8mm holes were drilled into the moving frame for the parallel motion bars to be fitted.

I also made up a couple off spacers that fit over the location pins to prevent the hanging frame lifting within the tow bar frame on the tender. The castor tyre is pneumatic so the pressure can be adjusted to give a more comfortable ride on the hard road.

Kiwiconnection

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2011-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  showman shane on Thu 05 May 2016, 11:46 pm

Hi Phil, Very ingenious and a real credit to your design skills. I don't see the no. eight wire though. Looking forward to our "pub to club " run Queens birthday weekend at Waihi Beach. Cheers Shane.

showman shane

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Fri 06 May 2016, 12:23 am

Good design there. It will also reduce the bending on the tender.

lynnr

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim the Shovel on Fri 06 May 2016, 9:55 am

That's similar to what I have in mind. I've never really liked the idea of hanging onto the back of the tender / bunker. The jockey wheel obviously relieves a great deal of the load.
I just happen to have a solo sprung Harley seat which I will be using. It's what we used to use on rigid framed bikes. Just for a little bit more of added comfort.
Thanks for the pics. They've certainly helped me to getting the cog wheels turning.

Jim

Jim the Shovel

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2015-06-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Fri 06 May 2016, 10:58 am

Keep wondering about doing similar on the Agri, I dont suppose you could take a few pics of how its hooked onto the bunker and also to the towing rails at the rear please.
Although I think I can see how via the 3rd pic down.

Be interested to see how high you sit on it as well because it looking like you are now a little lower ?

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2013-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwiconnection on Fri 06 May 2016, 2:28 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the positive responses. For Shane, a little piece of No8 wire to satisfy the Kiwiís viewing. I will be adding a couple of permanent hooks on the top rail for the stoking tools. I will also be adding a backrest as well which also hold the registration plates.

For Livestream the seat cushion is about 600mm above the ground, which matches the supplied frame height. I think the seat is lower for the RL and Showmanís to be able to work around the canopies fitted, which obviously the agricultural doesnít have.

Top hook over the bunker lip.

The frame load is taken on the lower drawbar.

Pin and spacer, (chained together to avoid loosing them in the toolbox).

Pin and spacer installed. (to prevent the frame from lifting).

Kiwiconnection

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Sun 08 May 2016, 12:42 pm

Something else as a mod.

I extended the bracket over the top of the tender to reach right in to the corners. This means the seat is also hanging off double thickness and the stiffness of the corner. Tested by two large gentlemen at Banchory a couple years ago to see if they could get Crystal to do a wheelie.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwiconnection on Fri 13 May 2016, 5:15 pm

I was pottering around the workshop after a big clear up and decided that the remaining kit needed to be started so that I could throw the box away. So Lord Darby is in the process of having his raincoat fitted.

Having now fitted this item I have begun to realise just how restricting the canopy is when trying to reach the controls. So I have started to look into some modifications for ease of access. At this stage I wouldnít dream of trying to drive in traffic with the canopy fitted because my arm reach is not long enough to be able to react to the driving conditions, so the canopy will be easily removable.

A view hatch is going to be added to be able to see the important instruments, the pressure gauge and water level glass. It doesnít need to very big I have discovered, so a sliding hatch will be fitted. I will also raise the canopy a fraction so that my shoulders arenít quite so restricted when reaching for the controls. Watch this space.

Kiwiconnection

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sliding hatch

Post  Steve Traill on Sat 14 May 2016, 2:04 pm

I used a piece of 2mm ally rolled to copy the curve of the roof then covered in cloth to match the rest of the roof. Works a treat, pics on another part of the forum.

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwiconnection on Sat 14 May 2016, 2:25 pm

Steve, yes I think you guessed where I am getting my ideas from. Very Happy Embarassed

Kiwiconnection

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Sat 14 May 2016, 2:38 pm

Before you get too far in the roof build I would suggest that you make a double rafter half way down so that you can run timber down either side of the hatch to pick up the edges of the rafters in the hatch area. Cutting away the rear timber frame gives really good visibility then with no loss of integral strength. I was worried that by cutting a large section out it would make the roof floppy but it hasn't at all. Also I have good visibility of both front wheels through the hatch. I extended the steering shaft by 40mm which I believe STW will be doing anyway on the next batch. My knuckles were on the flywheel and that 40mm just makes it easier to reach. The remote regulator handle is a must have too! It'll be nice to see it when it's finished.

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwiconnection on Mon 05 Sep 2016, 4:05 pm

Well, after spending just over 2 years in the workshop itís now time to show Lord Darby to the world and have had a couple of outings.

From these outings one thing that has become very apparent is, CHECK ALL FASTENINGS for tightness. ShockedShocked †I have had a number of steamingís up and down the road I live on during testing and adjustments prior to getting the boiler approved. Everything appeared to be in order visually during this time. The odd fixing that I did try seemed to remain tight so I didnít worry too much about any of the others at that stage.
Mistake.
On the second day of a weekend road run the second shaft drive failed at the gear cluster hub. Seven of the ten bolts had worked loose or had fallen out, and the final three remaining had sheared off. Obviously my fault as apparently I hadnít used Loctite on the final assembly, as I could remove the broken thread ends just with finger pressure.
After fixing the problem with some nice new high tensile hex cap screws with spring washers and Loctite I donít think they are likely to fall out again, I hope. I also added a couple of 5mm dowel pins to absorb the shear load of the drive, taking some of the load from the bold threads.
The steering also became tight in one direction of turning the handle, this was tracked down to the worm locknut loosening and the worm wheel retaining bolt almost working totally loose. Again lack of Loctite or other method of locking the fixings. At this stage I also added two 1.5mm bronze thrust washers each side of the steering rod support casting and a 6mm grease nipple. This has improved the action of the steering considerably.

The second outing on one of our club training days the water pump seemed to be struggling. After a couple of static runs everything seemed to be working OK pumping at boiler pressure, so of I trundled into the park. Closing the water pump bypass the first thing that seemed to happen was a change in the sound coming from the pump, and water escaping from around the suction pipe flange. Then without warning a couple of pieces of shrapnel shot past my right ear, and the pump drive stopped rotating. Bugger. All this happened within a couple of seconds.

The nylon gear had sheared a number of teeth as it is designed to do, but not before bending the drive shaft at the eccentric end. Cutting a long story short, the reason for the failure was hydraulic lock caused by the pump delivery ball lift restricting stop screw coming loose and trapping the ball onto its seat. Again a lack of glue on the thread allowing it to work loose. A spring washer and Loctite should cure that one with a bit of luck!
So the moral of the story is take plenty of time retaining all your fasteners on the final assembly, and keep checking for loose or missing fixings when your model is still fresh and new from the workshop. Itís amazing the pounding the engine gets on the road and other hard surfaces, and when being transported from one venue to the other.

Kiwiconnection

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 2:35 am

Hi

Nice post of the trials and tribulations of running in these masterpieces.

Crystal still does a random selection of "lets loosen XX YY". The latest one was the left roof support from the block. Both bolts has removed themselves and wandered off someplace in Inverness after being in place for almost 4 years.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:57 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top