private plates

View previous topic View next topic Go down

private plates

Post  hippy dave on Thu 02 Jan 2014, 3:47 pm

Happy new year to all .Does any one know if its possible to put a private plate on a engine Very Happy 

hippy dave

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2011-07-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: private plates

Post  lynnr on Fri 03 Jan 2014, 12:11 am

Hi

The only way possible is at initial registration. You will NOT be able to transfer at a later date.

lynnr

Number of posts : 2716
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Fodenjohn on Fri 03 Jan 2014, 2:50 pm

Out of interest, why can't you add a private reg to an engine after its been road registered?

I presume the idea for doing this is to make the engine look older than it actually is??

I have a private reg on the car and obviously that can be transferred many times.

Cheers...John

Fodenjohn

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Fri 03 Jan 2014, 11:58 pm

Basically DVLA says NO.

Quote from DVLA.
"of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate"

Found Here

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 12:23 am

That is correct on the MOT stipulation. If you have a number on retention such as Robfishman then I believe you can use that at first registration but only then. Otherwise like me you are stuck with what you were given  Sad Sad Sad  KC57 EAM would have been cool and is available, maybe on the the van when I win the lottery.....  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 3:21 am

Yes that's the info I was given from the chap at the Portsmouth DVLA office, dealt with them for the transfer of plates between cars and they are very good.  However  they are due to close at Easter and we will be dealing with Swansea. When I brought my current car in September Swansea dealt with the transfer.......the correct owners are still not registered to the correct cars even today.  When I brought mine the dealer said itsnew cars it's taking 6 weeks to get them registered

I would suggest anyone looking to put a private plate on speaks to DVLA and get the name of who they spoke to in case of a problem later, they don't seem to be very efficient at the moment.   When I come to register I'll let you all know how we get on.  New cars have been taking up to 6 weeks to get registered and a mate of mine who brought a new car the week after me took 8 weeks.

There are several ##57 EAM plates on the DVLA site as Kevin said,  most know which one we have on retention.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian G on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 4:10 am

highpressure wrote: **57 EAM would have been cool and is available, maybe on the the van when I win the lottery.....  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 

Just had a look at this idea www.carreg.com are selling them for £179 each, not expensive at all or are there other hidden costs?

Ian G

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 5:35 am

You still need to deal with DVLA and their fees

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 10:09 am

If it's on retention the fees have already been paid. However Lynn is correct you will have fees to pay over and above if you use a dealer. They can be obtained direct from the DVLA for £250, and this includes all fees.

Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  hippy dave on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 9:43 am

Hi I was thinking of getting a plate in the new year for my as yet registered engine but have been told by dvla that I cant put a private plate on an mot except vehicle even from new, any thoughts as don't want to get stuck with a plate I cant use, cheers Very Happy

hippy dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 11:37 am

I've a email from the Portsmouth DVLA office (now closed) saying that when I register the engine I need to send the V750 (certificate of retention)  with the registration paperwork and tick the 'unregistered vehicle' box in part 1, however once its registered I can't then transfer it off. Think I'll also send the email with the paperwork just in case.

I do however know they are in a right mess at the moment.......some will know part of this already  

I brought a new car and after 5 weeks they (DVLA) had still not sent out the paperwork to say it had been registered.  Mazda made a formal complaint as there were a number outstanding and there was no logic in how they were being processed, some were back within days others took weeks, mine and two others had already been over a month. Within a week the paperwork arrived.

However the private registration that should have been transferred off the old car and on to the new, had been transferred off the old car (which had a new number), but not onto the new one (which was also given a new number).  This was eventually sorted out, but they had then reregistered the car to MazdaUK.  You can imagine by this point I was not a happy bunny......the local office were very good and quick at this sort of thing when they were there.....Swansea however are not!!

This was resolved and I received a new V5 with all the correct details contained within, and the car it registered to me....happy days I thought, and only took them from November 2013 to April 2014 to sort out.

But...

Roll the clock in to today and I need to tax the car at the end of the month, I receive no notice through so am suspicious.  I look on line and conveniently I can tax without the notice if I have a V5.  I put the V5 number and registration number in the boxes on the website and it can't find a record.  Helpfully there is a number to call to do it over the phone....I call it and its an automated service....I put in the number on the V5 and the system goes away and comes back telling me its a Ford Mondeo registration xxx and tax is not due till April!!

After struggling to find a number that would give me a person on the end it, and being transferred to different departments, turns out my car is not registered to me but still to Mazda (I think as they wouldn't tell me, and said they couldn't help, but when I told the chap about the error in registering the car and it may registered to Mazda he became more helpful and read the file).

He said he could see it was referred to a case handler in April  to correct the problem (he let slip a Ford Garage had picked up an issue) which for some reason had not been actioned.  He went away and came back saying it had been escalated and I would get a call back within 2hrs to either confirm it has been corrected or with any queries that needed answering.

3hrs later no call, I phone them to chase and.....the case handler had gone home.  A note has been put on her desk to resolve first thing in the morning, I am not holding my breath.

Sorry for my rant, but I am dreading registering the engine when they cant even sort out registering a car !!

Last edited by Robfishman on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  hippy dave on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 11:57 am

Cheers for that your right pompy were great but not looking forward to doing engine now there gone, still don't know weather to risk buying plate or not, women I spoke to today she was definite I couldn't do it Neutral

hippy dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 12:43 pm

Unfortunately I'm still a 12 to 18 months away from registering by which time will be to late to find out for you, but I can see them and I falling out if they then tell me I can't.....

Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 2:00 pm

Ive already brought my plate especially for the engine even though i am a good 2/3 years away from registering it, I will be really upset if they say i can't as it cost £250 for the plate and then what ever it is on top of that to keep on retention for how ever many years

Russ

hartshaulage

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2014-01-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 2:21 pm

I'm with you Russ, to renew for 3 years cost me £75 I think.

Fingers crossed they sort out my car tomorrow, and when the case handler calls me (if she calls me) I'll ask her for her view. I've had mine of the back of advise from Portsmouth for a couple of years now.

Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 3:49 pm

Hi Rob,

I sent off in mid August for my registration and have posted what happened, else where on the forum. I did not get my V5 until mid November. I went for whatever number DVLA issued which is a 64 plate. The V5 shows that I have a steam powered agricultural tractor. Well I suppose the photo I sent in does look a bit like a tractor!

Ian

IanL

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2011-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse on Thu 05 Mar 2015, 3:16 am

I am just registering my engine and have now been told that I can't allocate SN57EAM to it. I spoke to a really lovely lady who thought the engine was great and loved my number and said she had asked technical help twice to see if they would allow it and both times was told no. She said if I could prove it had been allowed before she would go back again. Has any one been able to successfully put a private plate on their engine?

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2011-04-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage on Thu 05 Mar 2015, 1:41 pm

Hi Simon

Having read your reply here i thought id ring DVLA up as i my self have brought a personal Reg RH57 EAM, the first woman i spoke to didn't have a clue what she was on about and told me to ring VOSA which i did and surprise surprise they wern't interested so i rang DVLA back up and the very helpful guy said there isn't anything stopping me or any others from applying a personal reg to a steam engine, but as previously stated it must be done on first registration.

Only thing i can say is ring again talk to some one different they will probably tell you you can

Russ

hartshaulage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse on Thu 05 Mar 2015, 2:04 pm

Thanks Russ,

I suspect I am a little stuck now as they have my application and have appointed a case worker.

MrStationHouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse on Thu 05 Mar 2015, 2:07 pm

One more thought- did you get a name I could follow up?

MrStationHouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage on Thu 05 Mar 2015, 2:27 pm

Unfortunately i don't remember the name and i was driving at the time and using hands free to do the talking so i couldnt write it down

Sorry i couldn't be of more help

hartshaulage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:26 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top