Bright Nickel on the motion works

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bright Nickel on the motion works

Post  AndrewR on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 2:54 pm

What are peoples thoughts on having bright nickel plating on the motion and other exposed metal? 
Anyone have a picture of an agricultural engine that has been plated? 
Just getting ready to plate mine and hoping not going to be too 'in your face' 

Cheers Andrew

AndrewR

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bright Nickel on the motion works

Post  mikero on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:39 pm

Have a look at some German builds, they tend to nickel or chrome a lot of parts on their engines.

Mike

mikero

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Wed 19 Jun 2013, 12:47 am

I have decided not to nickel plate mine, did think about polishing them but now have decided to chemically black the motion. Having looked at loads of pictures of engines running by the end of the day the motion looks fairly black, being coated with oil and dust. So why not make it look like that from the start.

Well that's my current thought

Ian

IanL

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2011-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:47 am

Have a look at my build and The Colemans, I had mine bright plated and had the valve rods polished due the wire erosion technique which leaves quite a surface, Andy on the other hand polished them to within an inch of their life. To me both are fine and as Ian says thay are soon covered in oil and crud but they wont at least develop any rust. In my experience the slightest damp environment causes surface rust even overnight. I have even had the largest of the road gears plated after it went quite rusty over the winter and all of my bright work is plated and all the black is black mickel which is much more hard wearing than chemical blacking. The platers I use will happily send to anywhere in the country if you want their details and do an exceptional job.

There are several agriculturals out there that are really clean and poplished and why not it is your pride and joy, I know they wouldnt have looked like that in real use but the few that I have seen always turn heads and get good compliments and tend to stand out from the plethora of "working clothes" finishes.

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickster on Wed 19 Jun 2013, 12:36 pm

Hi Andrew,

I guess but can't be sure that depending on which plater you use they will all vary a bit so get some examples of what you like.
For me on my Road Loco I wanted something to look as close to the steel colour as was realistically possible but with the protection to prevent rust as Highpressure says - slightest whiff of moisture and a red furry coating appears  if not covered in oil. 

I ended up with a Satin nickel which didn't reflect too much and was quite close to the original steel colour and so far it seems to work fine.

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2010-02-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Wed 19 Jun 2013, 2:28 pm

As I see you are in Northants come to the Banbury do and you can see mine (with crud Smile ) and Andys (before crud ) and see what you think and make your own mind up.

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AndrewR on Thu 20 Jun 2013, 12:11 pm

Too late, sent them off today to be done. Bright nickle for the motion and zinc (cheapest) for the diff, final drive other hidden stuff etc. I am taking the engine home to Auckland NZ with me next year so decided I had to protect the bare steel from salt spray etc. Will be at Banbury, hopefully with the engine mostly finished.

AndrewR

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  imikanwar on Tue 26 Nov 2013, 1:58 am

I also remember somewhere someone saying not to tell the chandler what it's being used for, or they may not want to supply.

imikanwar

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-11-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:11 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top