Progress info?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Progress info?

Post  NiteWolf1138 on Sat 15 Jun 2013, 12:02 am

Greetings everyone,

Was wondering if there was any progress towards http://www.stanley-steam-car.com ? confused

Thanks

NiteWolf1138

Number of posts: 10
Registration date: 2012-12-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

There's a lot of information out there

Post  He Who Must Not Be Blamed on Tue 06 Aug 2013, 6:36 pm

While Steve is still building the prototypes (in his own spare time, I understand), I don't think you'll get much progress information soon. I understand the main reason for building the cars is that Steve Baldock wanted a Stanley Steamer for himself. While he was at it, it wasn't a lot more work to build a second one for a friend. I very much doubt if STW have even decided to bring out a Stanley kit yet. I would be seriously interested if they would, but it will be expensive. That makes it a very small market, with high risks for STW. Then there's the matter of getting a replica legally registered for the road. There are huge problems with that in Europe, at least, although Steve seems to have found a (relatively expensive) way around it. There again, I suspect there aren't many potential customers who will want to follow the same costly route to get their Stanley on the road.

Seeing that Steve has been quite active in steam car circles lately, I would not be surprised if STW would start a small line of 'standard' coffin-nosed Stanley parts, like axles, valves, pumps and such. There's a small but wealthy group of customers for that sort of thing.

I won't post links here, but if you feed Google with the right search terms, you'll be surprised how much detailed progress information you'll find on the two cars Steve is building at the moment.

He Who Must Not Be Blamed

Number of posts: 15
Registration date: 2013-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Progress info?

Post  craig@STW on Wed 07 Aug 2013, 8:02 am

yep, steve's cars are personal projects and not on the STW "future models" list.

craig@STW

Number of posts: 1088
Registration date: 2010-05-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  He Who Must Not Be Blamed on Thu 08 Aug 2013, 12:02 pm

Thanks for the clear information, Craig. I'm a bit disappointed, but it's understandable. A full size 20HP Stanley could well be a kit too far for STW.

What I don't understand is this: why is the Stanley web site ("Coming soon") advertised on the individual product pages of the STW web site? It looks very much like a new product announcement, which we now know it isn't. Confusing. Sad

Eric

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Thu 08 Aug 2013, 12:36 pm

Eric,

It was initially our intention to do a kit, hence the 'coming soon'. Even a cheap & cheerful look alike maybe.....................

However.............

After Steve spending around 4800 hours so far on the two cars with around another years work before they will be finished then adding on to this the current spend of around 90,000 with a finished budget of nearer 120,000 (the two sets of lights were $23,000 alone!) we believe that it's probably not a viable business proposition. Even if you just just take the material costs at 60k and then add on the hours at a 10 per hour (which is less than we pay our skilled guys & no where near covers overheads & profit) this then takes the price to 84000. On top of that there would be VAT at 20% and your touching over a hundred grand.

At that sort of price you are immediately limiting your market which then rules out 'large batch production' which is how we make our money.

I'll see if i can get our website guy to remove the 'coming soon' part.............although the two Steve is dong will definatley be 'coming soon'. Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

All the best

Dean

Steam Traction World

Number of posts: 833
Registration date: 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  He Who Must Not Be Blamed on Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:21 pm

Ouch. Sad Now I understand why Steve's Hornsby is for sale...

Thanks for the extra information, Dean. I was prepared to stump up a lot of brass for a Stanley kit, but not quite this much. It's clear that such a kit is not going to happen anytime soon.

Ah well, back to searching for an affordable original, then. Maybe a CX, EX or Model 60. Or - dare I say it - a kit of one. Wink

Eric

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Coffin nose 1909 Stanley

Post  Mike on Tue 16 Sep 2014, 8:26 am

Although I would agree sales maybe small but it may be worth asking who would be interested in placing an order, as a one off batch to those who would buy one, and then you could sell off the right to make more.
I would be very interested in one.

Mike

Number of posts: 19
Registration date: 2011-09-13

View user profile http://new email  mike.tuck27@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post  He Who Must Not Be Blamed on Tue 16 Sep 2014, 11:09 am

Mike wrote:I would be very interested in one.

Obviously, I would, too. But a full-size 20HP Stanley is no small and generally affordable undertaking, even in kit form. And a completely kit-built Stanley of such a size would be impossible to register for the road - in Europe at least. For that, you'd need to incorporate a substantial number of original Stanley bits (notably an original Stanley engine) and convince the powers that be that it is essentially a rebuilt original. I suspect very few STW customers are prepared to go that elaborate and expensive way.

I brought up a possible alternative here, but nobody else seems interested. Pity, that.

Eric

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum