Feedback on driving experience

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Feedback on driving experience

Post  highpressure on Mon 13 May 2013, 10:58 am

Now we have a couple of other engines running around just wanted to see if they are behaving the same. I now have the start button working and it will help to pull away but only if the crank is in the right place, if it is full FDC then the button has no effect and when I try to turn the flywheel the pressure on the valve face is so great it is almost impossible to get it to go. Does anyone else find that or is it just me? Also if there is a bit of pressure on the HP valve it is very difficult to get the lever to select forward or reverse. I notice Tim we have the same sound of the gears which is not disappointing but good to know they sound similar, as you would expect.

I made up the single lower seat this weekend and did manage to get a drive with the roof on but had it raised up on some 4" extensions I have made but it is still uncomfortable to get to the controls and makes me feel uneasy about being in total control, could see under it quite easily and only just peer over the top but couldnt see much if any of the road. I notice Lynn your roof seems to be easier to reach under, do you have super long "Inspector Gadget" like arms or is the roof slightly different on the showmans. I see there is no cross braces on the rear uprights of which I have removed one but will need to take the other one off and drop the roof a bit lower to see how it feels. Didnt take any shots though but might do this weekend if the weather is kind.

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Feedback on driving experience

Post  lynnr on Mon 13 May 2013, 11:11 am

My seat is ultra low so my shoulder gets under the roof edge. The seat base is right tight upto the tender and my right hand drops naturally onto the regulator

lynnr

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Starting and driving positions

Post  Tim Watson on Mon 13 May 2013, 5:14 pm

I learnt quite a lot of info at the weekend on starting these engines. The HP crank should generally lay at the opposite direction to the reversing lever, i.e. for forwards direction at the rear, but not at BDC - if possible. It will then start on it's own. If the LP crank is forward and the HP at BDC then a squirt on the button will start the engine: this gives the highest power start. Best not to open the regulator too much until you see it start to move, otherwise it will lock up. The starting button can give a useful power boost if the engine is starting to stall and can be quite useful for manoeuvring. The gear change does rattle a bit, especially when coasting and the engine does not pull up well on the reversing lever in high and second wheel: as would be expected for a three shaft RL with open rods. The wheel brake is essential and very effective.

Seating position is a work in progress. My seat is at the back, but not as high as I expect the Land Rover bench seat to be on the STW frame. I prefer it that way as I have long legs and, fortunately, long arms. Even so, extensions to the steering knob and regulator are definitely on the cards. I think access to the SRL controls is simpler than on the RL as there isn't any cross bracing to interfere with arm access to TE regulator and reverser.

The capacity and range of the boiler is significantly greater than the agricultural TE. It can be left to its own devices for much longer.

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 531
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Feedback on driving experience

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:34 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top