Dorset Marmite (I'll either love it or hate it!!!)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dorset Marmite (I'll either love it or hate it!!!)

Post  highpressure on Fri 26 Apr 2013, 10:34 am

After speaking to the section leader last year at Dorset, last week I recieved an offical invite to attend as an exhibitor. I have only done a few rallies where I sleep over as I like my bed!! and I know that Dorset is from at least the Tuesday if not the Monday to the Sunday with 30,000 people wanting to leave at the same time!! Plus after last years rain and horrendous conditions underfoot it can be a real experience if the weather is typical. So just like marmite I will either love the week or hate it.

However after a chat with "The Coleman" to act as a support steam hand and the section leader I have decided that it one of those " 50 things to do before you die" scenarios, so I have gone for it and been accepted. Now looking forward to the longest time I will have been in steam in a row, hopefully without issues and meeting and greeting lots of other builders and owners. I will also have the organs on display, if I cant get any takers there then clearly there is no market for them being built and I shall just enjoy the fruits of my labour myself!!

Make yourself known to me I will happily take you for a trundle up and down the edge of the playpen, and Tim I have perfected the art of bacon on the spade at the last two dos and the windermere kettle is great at tea too!! I will look forward to seeing Frederick in the flesh. The only pity is that I cant drive over to the STW display to show off how the engines are when finished.

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Dorset Marmite (I'll either love it or hate it!!!)

Post  hippy dave on Fri 26 Apr 2013, 11:20 am

good luck a big step but a brilliant leap forward well done really want to talk girlie into taking foden there when done but think im flogging a dead horse what with rudgwick for 6 days the weekend before

hippy dave

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2011-07-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero on Sat 27 Apr 2013, 2:30 pm

Kev

I can recommend the delights of Dorset, the real ale tent had 26 brews on offer, I think we got through about 18 of them before they ran out.( Dean, poor soul, had to drink Carlsburg for the week as it was the only lager they had) There is fresh bread and fruit available and any style of take-away you fancy. Just sit back and let the engine cleaner do the work, that's what Tim does. Wink

Mike

mikero

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 2:10 am

Hi Kev

Who is the section leader? I applied to Dorset for Blackbeard back in January via the Website but I do not know how the system works with Dorset, when I would hear anything etc... I would love to be able for us to double up like the big boys and pull a good load up and down one day. I would get some time off the Steam Yachts during the day to do that. I would have some support there for when it is not possible for me to do it.

Maybe Sonic45 could get some time off his duties to have some fun at Dorset with Blackbeard.

Cheers

Brian

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecter on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 1:02 pm

The organs you're thinking about making, what sort of size, price and what are they ran off the engine or just plugged in somewhere?

Andrew

Hecter

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-02-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:27 am

The organs are not just a thought, they are developed and made to order. Price varies depending on your budget really, at the moment early indicators suggest that "joe public" seems the think they should be much cheaper than I am thinking of making them for which is at least 50% less than the recognised organ builders and NONE of them offer anything similar at all. The only builder that has made a couple of organs like the Showmans version charged considerably more than I was thinking about for a much less spec model ( 20 - 31 note scales as opposed to the 48 - 65 scale I use)

To give an idea the McCarthy organ in OG a few months ago was a 20 note scale with 48 pipes in total for 4500, Alan Pell makes a modular system of 30, 48 and 65 notes which retail respectively for 4293, 7200 and 11417 for just a windchest and without trailer and decoration. The finished, cased organ I am showing with 134 pipes, snare and full 12v system finished in any colour of your choice, trailer mounted I would hope to charge around the 6000 mark, although I will try and make something to a budget which could be expanded at a later date but it means a smaller model to start with. The electrical internals are exactly the same as the Pell and are UK made and very high quality and cost an absolute fortune and they take 100's of hours to assemble. I have been making organs for about 9 years now and have researched and refined techniques to try and offer the best I can at a better price, unfortunately there are still some types of pipe that elude me and organ builders don't like to give away much!!! But the Showmans model I have taken out gets good feedback each time.

With regards to the possibility of running off the engine it draws a max of 7.5 amps to run the organ so if the lights need 27 amps and the dynamo can supply them it would be no problem but probably not simultaneously. Like I say if I go out for the whole of this season and go to Dorset with it and still get the same reaction it is no more than a "pipe dream" Laughing Laughing (Pun intended) to build organs and I will just use the one I have for my own pleasures as I couldn't afford one of the pro ones and they aren't made.

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecter on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 11:55 am

Be good if you do manage to get a little business started. they sound quite nice although i doubt i could afford one really. and im building a lorry not a showmans. would go lovely with a showmans though, or mayve on the back of a lorry. what events are you attending this year, would like to see it in the flesh and no doubt my sister would start asking my dad for one aha

Hecter

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-02-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott on Thu 02 May 2013, 1:53 am

Did about 9 years of dorset...love it.

Take an extra day off.....go home on the monday morning, takes all of 10 minutes to get to the main road, not the 3 hours on the sunday night

ejparrott

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2012-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero on Thu 02 May 2013, 6:21 am

3 hours, thats quick it took 5 last year.

Mike

mikero

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott on Thu 02 May 2013, 9:15 am

I've had to miss the last 3 years....wife's damned employers won't give her the time off work.....

ejparrott

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2012-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:44 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top