Regulator Running on

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Regulator Running on

Post  Flasback on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 8:26 am

Don't know if i have done something wrong but i am having problems with my regulator. I started today running slow and out of nowhere the engine started to run really fast and did not stop when I but it in middle position or when I shut off the regulator (has happened several times). It feels like the steam pressure is lifting the regulator body and the spring is not man enough. I have put a layer of oil on the bottom of the regulator body to help it stick as Steve has mentioned but with no luck. I have also checked the regulator arm to ensure its not moving.

ANY ADVICE most welcome.

cheers

Dwain

Flasback

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Regulator Running on

Post  highpressure on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 8:42 am

Regulator is very unlikely to lift as the pressure rises is pushes it with more force onto the seat, hence why it is quite difficult to open it when near to the limit ( at least on my engine ) as the surface area of the valve is more than 1 square inch so has at least 180 pounds or more on it. Most likely cause for what you are describing is the start valve letting by, sometimes mine gets slightly held open by the rod and causes the engine to run without regulator. The best way to check is when it is doing it pull the lever to mid to stop it and take off the LP valve chest and see if there is steam entering from the start valve. If thats a no then take off the HP valve and see if steam is entering from the reg port. As long as you keep it in mid gear and be aware of the fact that there is steam around so wear gloves and eye protection you should be safe. You can also check the timing when hot to get best response.

Useful to know what you find for others nearing this point.

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:56 am

Dwain:
Have you checked that the engine is all done up tight? I would check the horn bolts to the boiler. Frederick's became loose over the weekend and the engine went a bit lively.

You may have to re-time the valves after re-tightening. When you do this take the LP cover offend then time the HP without the LP working, I.e. running as a single with the steam exhausting straight from the LP valve chest. When happy with the HP, then time the LP.

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:46 pm

I would underline the horn plate bolts, mine worked loose, screwed the timing right up and the broke the gauge glass at 150 psi, not somehting you really want to try!! affraid The best way to stop this happening is to take each bolt out one at a time, clean the thread and the hole and then refit with a good blob of JB weld. Once this goes off there is no danger of anything moving. Timing as Tim describes which is easier than it sounds and when you've done it once it's not that bad. It will run very smoothly then especially when it has run in a bit and loosened up.

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 12:22 am

I would not recommend that you ‘glue’ your hornplate bolts in. Part of the problem is caused by the paint on the hornplates and boiler reacting to the heat. It’s under quite considerable pressure by the bolts and when it gets hot some of it will be squeezed out, reducing the thickness and slackening off the tightness of the bolts.

You should always check the tightness of all fasteners on you engine after every steaming for the first few times. After a while, things will settle down but its still worthwhile checking everything every now and again.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World

Number of posts : 886

View user profile http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:14 am

I was hoping that the JB weld would take up the shape of the thread and allow the bolt to be undone if nessecary rather than using loctite or similar. I haven't tried to undo them so wouldn't know if this is the case but I was also thinking more along the lines of taking any slack out around the bolt and hole union as well as holding it in place.

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:53 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top