Authentic Burrell Canopy Colour

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Authentic Burrell Canopy Colour

Post  Adam Brown on Fri 08 Feb 2013, 1:10 am

Hello Everyone

Now that the Road Loco's have got their canopies and the Showman's Engine kits are no doubt not that far away I thought I'd give a quick note on the Authentic under canopy colour and the confusion that surrounds this. This isn't mean as an advert! I've had a couple of emails recently on the subject and expect a few more so I thought I'd try and pre-empt them by posting this

The colour on Burrell's build sheets is down as Eau De Nil which these days is British Standard 216. However British Standards weren't around when Burrell where building engines so this shade whilst often used is not really correct. Its a very pale green.

A few years ago Mike Thompson or 'Tommo' as he is much better known who is recognised as probably the best man in the country on engine painting and lining (He's done a few Scenics William V, Earl Beatty, Dolphin....) was working on Earl Beatty and discovered some original colour on the old canopy underside. This is a much stronger richer green more of a middle edging slightly toward a dark green and this is what we offer as Burrell Canopy Green.

Its up to you what you want, but I just thought I'd explain that, there are of course plenty of valid alternatives and given the size of the engines a lighter colour may be more suitable.

Oh and for all the Ex Mayor builders (Rob) there is another colour entirely that Saunders use for that!

Adam Brown

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-02-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Authentic Burrell Canopy Colour

Post  Robfishman on Fri 08 Feb 2013, 2:02 pm

Thanks Adam

Spoke to Nigel about that at Great Dorset in 2011, and he said they had also found the original colour on the canopy for ex-mayor. When the time comes I'll give him a call for the referance number, unless that is its already in your archive.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Adam Brown on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 5:52 am

There isn't a number for it, like most engine colours British Standard and RAL don't apply. Nigel sent me sample and its on file

Adam Brown

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-02-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 8:22 am

I think what sets off the darker green canopy colour is the red lining on the wood edges.

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:48 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top