Thoughts on Powder Coating

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thoughts on Powder Coating

Post  plantters on Mon 02 Mar 2009, 6:54 am

Hi All,

Having taken on the building of two models from STW and completed the build up of the Foden Chassis I am looking at painting options....

Obviously I want the finish to be both durable and good looking and have been thinking along the lines of having the major parts Powder Coated.

Has anyone gone this route on either the Foden or the burrell? If so any major pitfalls I should be aware of?
I have Sandblasting facilities here on site which should enable a good pre coating finish to be achieved so that should take care of at least one obstacle.....

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Nigel

plantters

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-02-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Powder coating

Post  Steve Traill on Mon 02 Mar 2009, 6:26 pm

I think powder coating is a bit like marmite, you either love it or think it's horrible! I fall into the latter catorgory as my experience of it is that it rarely bonds well with the steel and a slight nick or scratch will start rust bubbling underneath and before you know it large areas are flaking off. Also any sort of shine is short lived, Modelworks powder coated their first Burrell and very quickly it started to look scruffy. You can't beat a good quality paint properly applied, I used a synthetic (car type) paint on my Burrell which has stood up pretty well and after three years still has a good shine. Because these type of machines are constantly being wiped clean one needs to apply a good thickness of paint otherwise it will just rub through in a couple of seasons. I sprayed a coat of red lead on all the steel, two primers and three gloss top coats. With hindsight I would have paid the extra and used Craftmaster paints as you get what you pay for and redoing a paint job is a major job. The one problem I have had with the synthetic paint is a few months after first steaming the Burrell I noticed a blue dye leaching out from the green paint where drips of mineral oil had been left splashed on the engine. (the vegetable based steam oil had no effect). This effect could be T cutted away (with some elbow grease) and hasn't reappeared. I spoke to the paint suppliers who were mystified & could offer no explaination. After three seasons of steaming and a really good T cut & polish this winter all the blue has been removed & hopefully it won't come back. Hope this helps you in an important decision!! study

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Thoughts on Powder Coating

Post  gulfstream on Tue 03 Mar 2009, 8:21 am

I did contemplete powder coating small parts of my Foden but decided that the better route was to use a good quality two part automotive paint for the chassis and body panels which have also been sprayed with a abrasive resisting clear lacquer. The smaller parts I have sprayed with a proprietary spary can paint and then used an old combination microwave in convection mode to dry and harden the paint quickly with goods long-term results. I have Westfield kit car the chassis of which was powder coated and the coating is beginning to lift and moisture has crept between the coating and the steel which is causing the coating to flake off in large pieces leaving a bare rusty surface.
A few years ago I worked as a volunteer on the Festiniog Railway in North Wales and dis manya stint in the paintshop. The carriages and engines were painted with a hot spray single pack paint which dryed extremely quickly and was very had wearing. Due to size limitations a heated spray booth could not be used so the hot spray method was found to be the best alternative.

Paul

gulfstream

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantters on Tue 03 Mar 2009, 9:39 am

Thanks Guys!

Well I think the decision has been made.
I am not unfamilier with automotive two pack and use it on my Tractor restorations most of the time. Was not aware of the possibility of "lifting" on the powder coating so will stick to what I already know.

Thanks again.

Nigel

plantters

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-02-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:18 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top