SRL(S) Roof

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SRL(S) Roof

Post  Tim Watson on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 3:49 pm

Happened to be near the Krupps of Northamptonshire this evening and had a look at the following;

Makes the engine look very impressive and even bigger!

The height allows a good view into the valve gear and engine; which is not always the case with the LSM designed small wheeled scenic - it's also the right height for leaning on. There will not be any cross braces at the back, so access to the manstand will be OK from the driving position.

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SRL(S) Roof

Post  Tony King on Sat 12 Jan 2013, 1:49 am

Well done for posting these pics Tim..............As you say, impressively BIG Shocked
The effect of fitting the roof will be even MORE dramatic than the RL roof & that's without taking into account all the lovely twisted brasswork too!! Very Happy
I'm possitively "swooning" at the thought!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero on Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:34 pm

Where do the gas-struts fit Tim?

Mike

mikero

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  eng14110 on Sun 13 Jan 2013, 12:40 am

Hi Tim,
Thank for posting the roof pics and giving us a taste of whats t come. Hope to see you and Freddie??? at the London ME show next weekend Colin

eng14110

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Sun 13 Jan 2013, 4:44 am

Hi Colin/Tim,

Steve & I were hoping to visit the show next weekend but are now going to be away instead. Can u please take plenty of photo's of your engines & give us any feedback received from others. Sorry we didn't get a roof kit finished in time for you to have fitted it.

Dean

Steam Traction World

Number of posts : 884
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:38 am

Some further photo's of progress. Excuse the poor quality, barely any light by the time i took them and taken on a phone. Hopefully it will give you all a taster though.

Dean.

Steam Traction World

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:53 am

Bloody amazing!!!
Well impressed cheers
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:03 am

Cool
Wow
Excellent
Fantastic
Awesome
Stupendous

Typical Steam Traction World!

lynnr

Number of posts : 2684
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:47 am

Ooohh! I just noticed the "exciter dynamo" hiding there on its' little platform infront of the cylinder block........ Things are really coming together now.............. Even after 30 or so kits, the anticipation for the next kit never looses it appeal.... Exciting times..... "GOD" these engines look good!!!
Regards,
Tony (Over excited, in Scotland!!)

Tony King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:50 am

I bet "ol eagle eyes Lynn" didn't miss it!! Very Happy

Tony King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:54 am

Nope Very Happy Seen it a while back in a previous post.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:59 am

Yah!! I knew it Very Happy
Have you got any inside info on when & what kits are likely to be sent out, Lynn?
I seem to remember something about wagon wheels!!
How are you?
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:16 am

No insider info sorry.

Think some of the road loco people have started the wagons. Steam Traction World are no issuing until the engines are finished. This was discussed on the forum a few months ago.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Sun 03 Mar 2013, 11:47 am

Hi Steam Traction World

Crystal was asking me today when is she getting her roof? She wanted to come out to play today but the drizzle put her off as her hot bits would have got wet and she does not like rust!

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Good roof

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:20 pm

That roof does look good, nice to see all my etchings weren't wasted, just a shame it couldn't be done on the Road Loco but I see it wouldn't have worked as well. A sliding hatch it is then.

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Mon 11 Mar 2013, 11:38 am

I promised you an update today regarding the Kit 31 which is the Showmans Roof. To be honest we all wanted this to have been dispatched by now and to be concentrating on the last Kit which as you know is the Main Dynamo and Exciter.

We seem to have been plagued by supply issues for the last few Kits. I guess this is partially because we’re dealing with unknown and unfamiliar suppliers and to perhaps a greater degree our determination to get the product right.

We’ve decided to supply all the light bulbs and holders with this kit. All 64 of them! You may remember a thread on the forum (although I can’t find it now) about whether we should invest in the dynamo casting tooling at the expense of the lights and make these an ‘optional extra’. Although the consensus (not unanimous) was for authentic castings we decided that it would be inappropriate for us not to supply the full lighting.

A great number of hours have been spent trying to find an economical supplier. This is not proved to be as straight forward as you may imagine. We had determined the exact type and style of bulb holder required many months ago. Trying to find the manufacturer was not easy. After several failed attempts and numerous phone calls and missed promises of returned calls we eventually tracked them down in Denmark. It took several more days to open up an account with them; they wouldn’t even give us a price until an account was open. Then we were told that they wouldn’t supply us because we weren’t an automotive supplier and our on going requirements wouldn’t justify the retention of an account. We even had to talk to their MD to get to know that. They just ignored our calls and kept fobbing us off. Bear in mind that we were trying order some 2500 bulb holders and 3500 (including spares) bulbs, so not a small order.

The characteristics of the bulb holders have quite a significant impact on the roof design, so there was no way that we could confidently start placing orders until this was sorted.

Orders have now been placed for all but one of the items for this kit (dog collars). Supplies have started to arrive. We received all the laser cut wood today. We should get the steel in tomorrow and all the brass is due to arrive by the end of the week.

My best guess is that we should dispatch the Kit during w/c 25th March. We’ll do it sooner if we can but that’s what its looking like at the moment. Craig should start posting production up dates latter this week.

The dog collars are to strap the chimney extensions onto the roof if you hadn’t worked it out for yourself.

Kit 32 is all the dynamo bits. Everything is pretty much sorted for that. The only real disappointment is that we’ve been unable to source suitable analogue volt and amp meters, so these will probably end up as dummies. Everything is digital these days!

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:14 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top