bake in oven

View previous topic View next topic Go down

bake in oven

Post  mick 100 on Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:26 am

can anyone tell us if we can cure our heat resistant paint in our kitchen oven ? we are thinking of letting the paint go off for a day , after two coats . then in the oven for about 10 mins . the big bits like the chimney will have to cure when we get to steam up . any other tips would be more then welcome .

cheers mick and claire .

mick 100

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2012-10-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: bake in oven

Post  MrStationHouse on Sat 17 Nov 2012, 4:55 am

I used a plumbers gas torch which went well if you pass it over it gently you could see it go liquid and then set.

Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2011-04-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Sat 17 Nov 2012, 6:35 am

I have baked some in the kitchen oven when "home alone" the smoke box and chimney I did in the gas BBQ as it was longer and had stronger racks! The smoke box is v heavy.

Ian

IanL

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2011-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Sat 17 Nov 2012, 8:13 am

I have baked chimneys, saddles and smokeboxes in the oven. If you take all the bits out it's amazing what will fit in. I use Hammerite on bright metal for all the hot bits. I let the components dry off naturally then a few days later put them in the oven, slowly increasing the temperature up to 180deg in a fan oven. I leave them then to cool down completely before trying to move them, as apart from being hot, the paint will be soft.

In the Watson household it is accepted that strange smelly things will occasionally occupy the oven....In fact I frequently bake small components painted with Hammerite/Plastikote.

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 531
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Sat 17 Nov 2012, 10:42 am

B&Q stove paint. 1 hour at 200 with mothers approval Very Happy

lynnr

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  hudmut on Sun 18 Nov 2012, 2:51 am

I don't understand why people do this.

I spoke about it in the beer tent with a few mates and I got a right ribbing for it I understand you want to cure the paint but why bother you going to set fire to it anyway just seems like some one did it once and now every one thinks its a must. I mean how many full size engine men do you know with a oven the size of there smoke box ???

This is not a moan it just all the years of engine building iv been doing iv never seen any one else do this but on this site seems a total waste of time if you ask me.

Cue all the moaning

hudmut

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-07-05

View user profile http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/hudmut/My%20little%20se

Back to top Go down

Post  Weston on Sun 18 Nov 2012, 6:50 am

I'm with stu,

Can't fit an engine block in the oven.... I just wait for the first running of an engine to cure my paint. Same will go with the steam engine. The only caution I would say, is that with this method the first firing should be done slowly brining the temp of the engine up in stages i'e gradually increasing the size of the fire, you don't want to over heat the paint too quickly.

oh I pm'd you btw stu, did you get it?

Weston

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Sun 18 Nov 2012, 6:55 am

Beg to differ.

The paint shrinks quite a bit when you heat it up. Pre-heating takes out that variable. As an example, the perch bracket on my TE was very loose after an initial steam up when the smokebox was re-painted in situ: not a big deal but worth looking out for. The chimney on a miniature gets very hot in localised areas which can give problems with local paint loss. Baking the whole item ensures that all the paint is cured and more heat resistant. No point in baking the cylinder, as that never looses the paint. Just because full size owners can't do it doesn't mean that we shouldn't, if it gives a more reliable end result.

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 531
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Sun 18 Nov 2012, 8:04 am

I baked my smoke box and chimney because after a week of warm summer weather they were still sticky and I could not do anything with them without messing up the paint, hence the cooking which dried them out nicely. The boiler I have used engine enemal which is normally used on car exhaust system, no other reason than I had a load of it in the garage and may as well use it as this is not likely to be seen to often. This I know will produce a load of smoke when first heated, I thought my car engine was on fire when I used it on that when it first started. Hence why the instructions suggested doing this in a well ventilated space. Not that this will be a problem just need to remember to expect it.

Ian

IanL

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2011-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re bake in oven

Post  mick 100 on Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:47 am

thank you all for getting back to us , there's a lot of great idea's we have not thought of so will be trying some out .many thanks

mick and claire Very Happy

mick 100

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2012-10-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iain on Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:11 am

the thing i found is only put a thin coat on. seems to stay on better Very Happy thats on a full size roller but is roaded everywhere.

We still struggle to get the paint to stay on though. Might have to think about some sort of liner as if we road somewhere in the rain it looks a mess when we get there. Soot and steam oil tidies it up though.

iain

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2012-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:47 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top