littlehampton fireworks

View previous topic View next topic Go down

littlehampton fireworks

Post  hippy dave on Sun 28 Oct 2012, 11:14 am

Went to firework parade last night ,proper cold,just to say Kevs road loco looked brilliant going round with trailer and water bowser Very Happy

hippy dave

Number of posts: 123
Registration date: 2011-07-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The full set up!!

Post  highpressure on Sun 28 Oct 2012, 10:28 am

Hi Tim,

Beat me to it with a post but to put a little extra in, Yes went to the Bonfire parade with the full kit last night, spent the last few weeks finally finishing the bowser which has been here for over a year and had it first proper outing last night!!!! Fully powder coated inside and out and then sealed with isoflex poured in and slopped about. Sealed it up completely and then painted the lines and wheels. Had the hubs nickel plated and the spring hangers and bump stops blacked. My usual trusty helper Andy ( The Coleman) put in a great effort and with his two we had four scary looking passengers for most of the 3 or so miles round the town.

Lit up at 5 ish on the seafront, ready to move by about 6 ish. Had a full tender and belly tank and bowser and then ran into the town to the assembly point. Sat static there till 7.45 and then sucked 2/3 rds of the bowser into the engine, tender then full to bursting. Ran at walking pace, very nice and slow in second, very gentle on the motion and when we got back to the trailer there was at least half in tender still so water capacity with all full is a good 10 miles, didnt get though a bucket of coal though and we were burning Welsh Dry.

Only two miniatures which is a bit sad and Peter Stearne cracked the gauge glass about half way round which in the dark and a good mile from the car and trailer is not a fun scenario!! He did though bring the newly finished organ in its case on a road trailer and played it from a car battery for the duration of his run, not only vibration tested but had a few enquiries!!

The newly finished bowser ready for action, just need to put the red lines on the wheels.

Due to space and budget issues the original trailer with its new signage for road duties, I will get around to repainting the wheels and lining them but the tires are glued on!!

Ready for the off, the full set up complete with oil burners in the miniature road lamps.

Depsite feeling very nervous before the evening as I didnt want to have a disaster and push the engine back to the trailer it was a total sucess cheers cheers The engine behaved beautifully, just crawling along with minimum regulator. The crowds just love the whislte and siren, baying for more as we approched the seafront!! Blowing off in the cold is spectacular and it never fails to make me chuckle as the crowds think we are about to explode and comment "oooo look at that one!!" They just have no idea how an engine works!! Laughing Lots of very complimentary remarks about the finish and the engine and ensemble as a whole and some of the credit has to go to STW as I only put this stuff together!!!

There were 12 full size but sadly we left the camera in the van so didnt get any shots of them, Micheal Webbers Marshall "Dracula" did it for me and the siren he has found has to be heard to be believed!! It has a bell about 9" across and sounds like an angry cow as it fires up!!! Kept me and Andy amused all night!! Bumped into Les Searle form Horsham who has several Full size and is building an STW Showmans and he commented about how nice the engine was too, I think he owns the full size " His Majesty " crane which was present and I might copy its star on the chimney.

All in all an excellent eveing and just what I want the engine to do, lots of road runs and a real joy to drive!!!

highpressure

Number of posts: 1081
Registration date: 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Re: littlehampton fireworks

Post  Tony King on Sun 28 Oct 2012, 11:38 am

Very impressive Kev, looks like alot of fun.
You were lucky with the weather, can't say the same up here!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts: 684
Registration date: 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hippy dave on Sun 28 Oct 2012, 12:39 pm

Nice one kev yer heard that siron a few years ago and it still is one of the best noises iv ever heard,want one Laughing

hippy dave

Number of posts: 123
Registration date: 2011-07-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Sun 04 Nov 2012, 8:06 am

Managed to find a video of last weeks parade, we are at 14.00 in, it gets a bit slow due to all the walking floats and tight corners for the lorries. You can here the monster siren but it doesnt do it justice, you have to hear it in the flesh for the best result.

highpressure

Number of posts: 1081
Registration date: 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top