Mods to my engine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mods to my engine

Post  Brian M on Fri 26 Oct 2012, 2:36 pm

Hi All,

As I have not posted on the forum recently, I thought I would get up to speed with the discussions and share with other builders (who are not up to the last kit), a few modifications I have made to my engine (based on suggestions and help from other engine owners).

I think we all agree these engines are to the highest design, but like all things, people like to add their own stamp on things Very Happy .

This is the grease nipple added to the perch. It goes through to the collar on the front axle.

The pipework is purely up to the builder, but I liked the approach of left- to-right and so used three long pipes from STW and cut them off after the bottom bracket to suite.

With the steering, the thread was removed from the worm and a keyway was added to the top and bottom of the steering shaft.

To ensure the worm remains in place a locking nut and split pin is used.

The original oil points in the gear shaft have been widened, to ensure a good flow of oil.

The reverse lever reach rod is milled down to the same thickness as the bolt head. Therefore, there is no issue of the head scuffing the paint work.

I added an extra lubrication point on the bracket for the steering column.

To ensure the flywheel does not move a grub screw has been added.

Had the lip machined down on the wheel hub to ensure a better fit for the main shaft?

I have added role pins (spring pins) to fix in the wheel collars (not shown).

And finally a picture of my brother (A.K.A. Flashback) thinking about what he should do to his engine!! Very Happy

As it looks today (with Dwain's engine):

If anybody wants to add to the post on their modification, please feel free.

All the best,

Brian M

Last edited by Brian M on Sat 27 Oct 2012, 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mods to my engine

Post  Flasback on Sat 27 Oct 2012, 12:09 am

Just two things, both pints are not mine I was holding Brian's for him (every time I see a photo of me on STW or TT I am holding a beer, people will think I have a drink problem Embarassed ). I know one thing I won't be doing, that is painting it RED, Green is the way to go Razz

Flasback

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster on Sat 27 Oct 2012, 12:58 am

Could we have a seperate sticky mods section for the engines?that way we could add them and keep them all in one place and easy to find.

Kev

Kevster

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Sat 27 Oct 2012, 1:19 am

Good post Brian, great to see your progress............Your engine looks like it's ready to go forth through some very posh double doors, reminds me of a scene from a "Thunder Birds" movie Very Happy ..... Que music Shocked
On a different note, is the "Graphics" van in the back ground anything to do with you?......... I need some tank sticker graphics made for my BMW bike which I have just completely rebuilt..... Another project while waiting for next kit to arrive (Not ment to be a dig at STW!!)
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M on Sat 27 Oct 2012, 1:38 am

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the comments.

The van just happened to be there, so sorry it has nothing to do with me!

Just need to set the valve timing and complete a pressure test and away she will go, on the best welsh coal through the doors.... Very Happy and will bed in ready for her official inspection in March

All the best,

Brian M

Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:21 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top