6" scale Burrell Devonshire SCC

View previous topic View next topic Go down

6" scale Burrell Devonshire SCC

Post  Steam Traction World on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:53 am

Hi All,

After the initial discussion about moving in to the half scale engine market we have made a decision:

Our first release in this size is going to be a Single Crank Compound Burrell Devonshire similar (ours will have vulcanised rear wheels) to the one in the photo's below:

Better photo's will be added soon however these were taken with my phone!

There are a number of reasons we have come to this decision:

Firstly we have managed to aquire a significant number of patterns for this engine so could be in the position to start production sooner rather than later (orders and deposits dependant).

Secondly not only is this a good proven engine, we have been able to get the use of one to take to Pickering, Dorset, Welland and Bedford to put on the stand.

This engine is around the size and weight, 8 foot long and 1.25 tons, that we were looking to produced so it can still be transported by trailer or in the back of a large van.

It can be done in the price range we believe will make it affordable and a good future investment for our customers. Market value of a completed one is in the region of 55k-60k with the exceptional one's by Chis Lord (five produced) changing hands at nearer 70k.

Its a very pretty engine and keeps us in the 'Burrell' theme.

Pricing and deliveries:

The number of kits and pricing is still currently in discussion. A final decision will be made before Pickering rally which runs from Thurs 2nd Aug - Sun 5th Aug, however it is likely to be 30 or 36 kits with the total price including VAT and mainland UK delivery at around the £35000 mark for the first 10 orders received. This offer will be available at each of the 4 shows we attend and once the 10 have sold the price will rise to 40k. A guestimation of price breakdown would therefore be around 10% deposit of £3500 and 36 kits each at £875.

We will consider part exchanges of other engines as part payment therefore reducing the monthly outlay for potential customers. Please contact us further to discuss this. For example we would consider taking your Road Loco's or Burrell Agricultural engines etc back once you've finished them and offsetting the cost against this engine.

All the best

Dean

Steam Traction World

Number of posts : 886
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: 6" scale Burrell Devonshire SCC

Post  mikero on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 2:21 am

Stunning engine, you are going to need a bigger stand at Dorset to get all these engines in.

Mike

mikero

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 2:52 am

Hi Mike,

The stand size has been increased by 50% from 9m to 13.5m.

Dean

Steam Traction World

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 4:16 am

Yes, but most of that will be taken up with the Executive lounge area for 6" customers.

Mike Smile

mikero

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Devonshire

Post  Steve Traill on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:42 am

Good choice, I look forward to seeing it at Dorset. cheers cheers cheers

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:16 am

Got to ask this question, what will the trade price be for a DCC showman, will it be purchase price from STW or just below a market price depending on condition (what ever that maybe)?

Got to say I am very interested.

Cheers

Dwain

Flasback

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:48 am

I agree, very fine choice for first 6", so good infact, I'm very tempted to sell everything thats not bolted down & build one!!!! (& that's despite my reservations earlier when you were asking for comments on the 6" route!!)
Well done I think it'll be a success
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:23 pm

can you post a pic with someone standing beside it to get an idea of size.....someone around 6ft tall so Dean you take the picture!!! Twisted Evil
also length, width etc
thx

Graeme81

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2009-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:49 pm

From a marketing point of view Dean would be perfect to be in the shot........ Very Happy

Robfishman

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 10:23 pm

What's this....pick on Dean day? I'm a sensitive soul u know!!

Steam Traction World

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Fri 27 Jul 2012, 7:33 am

Flasback wrote:Got to ask this question, what will the trade price be for a DCC showman, will it be purchase price from STW or just below a market price depending on condition (what ever that maybe)?

Got to say I am very interested.

Cheers

Dwain

Laughing Laughing Ha Ha, that reminds me of just what happened after I had taken delivery of the 4" agri. I got it on the 13th April 2009 and met Steve at the MSRVS on 27th June still feeling quite guilty I had cut and run before STW got up and going. He told me they were going to start a run of DCC road locos and I couldnt work out quick enough how to tell my wife my idea. Considering I had made her life hell Evil or Very Mad for at least 9 months bitching about the demise of MW and how long it was taking to get the engine delivered. Still don't know how I got away with the baubles intact but there is no way I will be considering this. In the words of some famous rower "If any one sees me near the STW stand at Dorset other than for a chat they have my permission to shoot me " Very Happy Very Happy. Having said that this is a superb engine which I have seen in the flesh and a great choice for 6". If circumstances were different I would give it house room.....

Kev

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Pennett on Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:07 pm

Steve, Dean,

Nice to have a chat at Pickering and sorry I couldn't get up earlier in the day. On my return I told my Dad about your next project, to which his eyes lit up and I could feel my wallet groaning in my back pocket!

Having owned a full size SCC for many years he asked me to offer for your consideration the option/ability to balance the crank whilst you are in the design stage. This was something he had considered for many years and whilst not prototypical, a number of engines subsequently had them fitted.

Whilst I cannot comment on the operation of Single Cylinder engines, I do know the SCC had a tendency to ‘hammer’ on the front end whilst on the road and by having a balanced crank this would eliminate some of this action.

I appreciate this is only a model and unlikely to do the miles he has done over the years, but I pass this on for your thoughts.

In the meantime I look forward to seeing you and “The Devonshire” at Bedford.

Regards,

Tim

Tim Pennett

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2011-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Sun 19 Aug 2012, 8:12 am

HI All,

Visited the Lincoln Steam rally this weekend loads of miniatures plus some 6" Devonshires so here are some pictures of them

Hope this whets a few appetites for the new model.

Ian

IanL

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2011-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Sat 25 Aug 2012, 12:01 pm

3 Devonshire's ordered last week. With Dorset next week we are hopeful the order book continues to grow.

Thanks for posting the photo's from Lincoln Ian. It all helps.

Regards

Dean

Steam Traction World

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:09 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top