Am I doing something wrong??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Am I doing something wrong??

Post  highpressure on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:13 pm

Went back out to the garage tonight to fit the pump eccentric as the usual durge is on the telly. All goes well until I try and turn the drive over, it just clears the back of the spectacle plate. When I fit the huge oiler it doesn't stand a chance and fouls for at least a 1/3 of the stroke. I have double checked the drawing and to be fair the drive rod can only go one way round ( I have tried it just to be sure ) and I don't see what I can alter to correct it as the clearance comes from the diameter of the cam not the position of the rod. Have I got it wrong here?? Anyone else found this??

Craig or Steve I know its the weekend but if you get a chance to reply I would appreciate it. I take it although the control model goes together it doesn't actually turn over so perhaps this might not have been picked up??

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Am I doing something wrong??

Post  Rickster on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:03 pm

Hi Kev,

Exactly the same with me. Without the oiler I have about 1mm of clearance between the strap and the spec plate. No go with the oiler. I did wonder if the oiler is for the pump shaft as there is a fitting for an oiler to go on top but if that's right then we are an oiler short.

I found this out at 4pm and gave STW a call but all had gone home I think. Left a message for Steve or whoever to point me in the right direction.

I've left it out for now and now the kit is all done, If I do steam then I'll take the oiler off the governor as an interim as it's a bit smaller. Not tried it yet to see if it does fit mind you, but had enough tonight.

Also thought the front cylinder drain pipe is a bit short compared to the others. Have found this as well ?

cheers

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2010-02-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:14 pm

Yep Rick, exactly the same I thought I had used the wrong pipe for the front until I put the draintray pipe in and then they were both roughly the same, but the first one is about 2" shorter. If you look real hard in the photos you can see a very tiny mark where the strap actually touches the plate. Could be overcome with an angled fitting for the oiler to set it back at a slant, it would run otherwise. Could you get to all the bolts etc without too much pain?? As you can see from the pics its absoultely no problem without the crank in.

Last edited by highpressure on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickster on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:53 pm

Hi Kev,

Yeah it was no problem really. Just had to take it slow and steady so as not to destroy all the paint already done.
On the bottom eccentric strap nut I used two 1/4" drive extensions with a 10mm socket, with a bit of the kids plasticene stuffed in to hold the nut - no problem. It is a bit fiddly but by no means impossible.

I've asked for a replacement cylinder drain for the front with the rear one then I can cut it as necessary.

cheers

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2010-02-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Sat 14 Jul 2012, 2:49 am

I notice this is the RL spec plate which has four slots, the showmans has just two big holes and the web on the RL version is open space on the showman, so probably has not shown up on the factory control model as an issue, with it being the showmans version.

Looking at the oiler it is not vertical my guess this is controlled by the drive rod to the pump( I am months behind so not at this stage yet) would altering the drive rod to give it a slight dog leg bend in it to get the oiler vertical sort out the clearance issue?

Ian

IanL

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2011-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Sat 14 Jul 2012, 4:51 am

Good observation and probably correct diagnosis and having just had a look in the gallery that would be it, this will only show up on RLs due to the closed spec plate. Altering the pump rod would probably offer a cure but that is not something I could or want to attempt. Need the STW reply first.

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Is it me?

Post  Steve Traill on Wed 18 Jul 2012, 8:49 am

Has this post gone quiet or what?!! I was expecting the usual (almost) instant response from STW, perhaps it's staff holidays!

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW on Wed 18 Jul 2012, 9:29 am

nope sorry, just seen this (not had very good Internet supply at home for the last two weeks but its sorted now. needed a re-wire and a new modem).

to be honest i suspect it is a problem with the road loco only. as said, the spec plate is different. I'll get onto Steve about this first thing in the morning.

sorry guys Embarassed

craig@STW

Number of posts : 1194
Registration date : 2010-05-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Wed 18 Jul 2012, 9:40 am

Hi Craig,

Steve has already been informed and has used me as a test subject for a possible resolve, he said he would wait for me to report before posting anything but I cant get through on the phone for two days so I will put it here. He sent me a short piece of bronze threaded and drilled out to replace the current base of the oiler allowing it to be bent. I then found it easier to put the oiler in place and put a small piece of wood against the spec plate and use the cog to "force" the oiler back until it clears the plate, it has to go back far enough to clear the bulge at the base. Heres the result:

I think if this is sufficient the cure will be sent to all. Check with Steve.

Cheers Kev.

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Wed 18 Jul 2012, 11:16 am

It all looks quite tight, thin coats of paint only I think for RL builders. Good news though it seems to have fixed it quite easily.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Wed 18 Jul 2012, 12:36 pm

Sorry for the delayed response but we’ve been out of the office quite a bit over the last few days. Kevin kindly volunteered to be a guinea pig and trial our remedy for the oiler problem. Kevs photo clearly shows how we’ve got over the problem and whilst the angle of the shot is none too flattering I think viewed from above it’ll look okay. We’ll get a batch made and send it out to all Road Loco builders as soon as we can.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World

Number of posts : 886

View user profile http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:18 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top