Winch Rope - a gentle reminder

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Winch Rope - a gentle reminder

Post  bjwlancashire on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:57 am

All

Just a word of warning for those who have (or intend to) fit a wich rope onto your winding drum. I contacted a local Chandlers as Tony informed us on his build thread that this is where he sourced his pretty stainless steel one from. When I asked for a price and indicated what it was for they refused stating that they had no means of load testing the finished ends to give the cable a load weight rating. Now if wou were on a boat or yacht and the sea was rough would'nt you want to know that the nice stainless steel wire handrails would support your weight as you battled the high seas?? I am certain Richard Branson would!!

Even if you do not use your winch and fit it for decorative purposes only, you may sell the engine in the future ans someone else may want to use it. I found the below supplier on the interweb at random and were very easy to deal with on the phone, delivered the cable in three days from my late afternoon call and charged 71 delivered for a galvanised steel rope finished and certified to 290kg.

http://www.dlhonline.co.uk/winch-ropes-274-c.asp

I have no direct relationship with above company blah, blah!!! Just a satisfied customer who found them at random.

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Winch Rope - a gentle reminder

Post  highpressure on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 6:56 am

Clearly we are all thinking along the same lines, as some of you might know I fit aerials for a living and have access to various types of steel wire for guy ropes or lashing kits and so the wholesaler to me has in stock some 3.5mm galvanised steel wire of 50m drums for about 25 + Vat. The local yacht place wanted 3.50 per meter for stainless!!! What a Face So needless to say I went for the riggers stuff. Possibly a bit thin, and I had to fit the eyes on the ends but after 23 years doing it I have had a bit of practice Cool Winding it on was quite a game and it is purely cosmetic I dont't ever expect to pull anything but it fills the drum OK.

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 7:01 am

I sent my daughter off down the drive with it after she managed to get it twisted tring to feed it from the coil as it came, we both had black hands afterwards from the lubricant present in the cable Laughing

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Additions to the engine

Post  sonick45 on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:32 pm

Most of us won't use the cable but I have been toying with the idea of fitting a guide eye to the front axle on the cable drum side. I can then loop the cable through this and double it back from my trailer to the front tow pin.

The plan if all goes well to use steam to pull the engine onto the trailer.

I'm also going to fit another fairlead roller onto the top front side of the belly tank as there may be times
In the future when I wish to run a belt on the fly wheel to a threshing drum etc.

For those who might want to use the cable I would recommend Brians idea that it's best you get a rated cable knowing it can handle at least the rolling weight of the engine.
That way if you ever use it you don't stand the chance of serious injury if the cable ends come
loose and pull away from the cable ends.

Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2009-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:47 pm

I suspect they may need to be tested anyway if you were using it especially on the rally field, same as any chains and strops. This would depend on what you were actually using it for. May be worth speaking to your insurance companies on this when the time comes. Buying one already certified will certainly help the process.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:52 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top