I just love "fitting" Shall miss it so much

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I just love "fitting" Shall miss it so much

Post  highpressure on Wed 11 Jul 2012, 10:09 am

I hope Steve won't mind me posting this about fitting the pump drive. The pump drive rod was very tight in pump housing and when fully home it didn't seem to go in far enough. Close inspection of the rod showed a small radius which should marry up with a radius on the bush but unfortunately the bushes were set in the housing the wrong way round, the outer one with the hole in for the lubricator/retainer has a flat edge and the inner one had the radius on it. I got over by just tapping the bush in slightly further and then filing and re-tapping the hole. Steve suggested just using a small de burring tool on a dremel to put a radius on the outer bush but I didnt have one. The rod was tight but loosened up with a bit of wet and dry 600 grit and oil. I have just lapped the eccentric with the Seddon and Black Timesaver which is still worth every penny, took about 5 minutes and was like silk afterwards. I am trying not to mention the fact that I dont have the crank in which has made this O so easy, I wouldn't want to think what it would be like in a confined and awkward space....

The rest of this kit doesnt look too bad, havent looked up any photos is there any particular colour for the pump body?? Probably red which then requires etch primer, mine seems to have degraded as it doesn't appear to adhere very well, the red on the main eccentrics has started to chip off very easily.

Hopefully going to get the hydraulic test done this weekend, will post details when sorted. I like the gauge by the way, looks good on the wooden plinth and finishes the backhead nicley, need to sort out the "boiler wash" plate now.

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I just love "fitting" Shall miss it so much

Post  bjwlancashire on Thu 12 Jul 2012, 5:44 am

highpressure wrote:need to sort out the "boiler wash" plate now.

Just for you Kev, the fine Diane Carney plate fitted on Blackbeard!! I have fitted the gauge too, it looks great on the plynth after I varnished it.

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Thu 12 Jul 2012, 8:59 am

highpressure wrote: The rest of this kit doesnt look too bad,

Clearly I hadn't looked at the rest of this kit!!!! Shocked Due to quiet afternoon, it seems to be raining Question which isn't very common at the moment so I put the pump together and had a look at the ram etc and general fitting of said assembly. Hmmmmm not saying anything else from here.... How's anyone else finding it? Fitting the gauge wasn't too bad!!

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickster on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:23 am

Hi Kev,

Pressure gauge was no problem, drain pipes not a problem. The water pump return valve three screws were a bit trickier. The whole directly under the valve body I could not fit the screw in and had to make up a stainless steel stud and screw it into the body then nut it. How did anyone else do it?
Apart from this, I had to use all 4 washers to get the ball lift clearance but still think it's over the 1mm - does this matter can anyone say ?

cheers

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2010-02-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 7:12 am

Hi Rick,

Thats odd about the ball, I had to use only two so went and checked I had done it right which I have. I was a bit premature about the lapping of the eccentric, it was OK when I finished yesterday but when I tightened it up today it locked up so had to keep going, took another two hours even with Time Saver!! probably because it was steel on steel, but it is very smooth now. Painted and baked the pump this morning as no-one was in and have just put all the bits so far on. The straps have only been painted about 1 hour ago so waiting before they go in, then the crank can go back. Sorted out lots of odds and sods today such as the winch and lubricator and some other fittings just waiting to get lost... Embarassed Why is it the glands on these pumps are so bloody awkward to get to Evil or Very Mad I had to make a spanner with a right angle for the last engine and the lower one on this is just as bad.

How many wraps of packing is anyone else fitting?? I put two in but I dont think thats enough as the gland is almost at the shoulder on the studs and I dont think its tight yet and have yet to try it with water in?? The name plate is only on just to get a feel for it, I know its pi**ed before anyone comments. Shocked Anyone still hoping to run with this stuff on this weekend?? You'll have your work cut out if so, its not that quick to fit.

Just as an aside I took the front cover off this morning and was shocked to see the amount of rust and crap in both cylinders, I have had a few issues with the lubricator the last time I ran which might have contributed to it but I managed to clean up both bores and shot some WD40 and then painted steam oil on the inside just be be safe, they moved back and forth OK after that. Anyone else who has had steam or water in the engine might want to have a look also.

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:28 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top