June 2012 Old Glory

View previous topic View next topic Go down

June 2012 Old Glory

Post  Robfishman on Wed 16 May 2012, 12:51 pm

Many interesting articles in Old Glory as ever, but a couple which may be of interest...

There is a buyers guide to buying a minature engines, Interesting read but not really much detail really given.

Also midsummer models are releasing a 1/24th scale model of Ex-Mayor. The others that I have always been tempted by are fantastic and if this is to the same high standard it will look great on the mantle. There is a shop in Southampton which stocked the others and every time I'm in town I go and look at them. Now it's in the colours of my build will be I have no excuse not to get one.....much better than the corgi version I have at the moment. Very Happy

Also for those who made it to Basingstoke there is a page covering the ralley.

Sad news however is that Mr Peter Burrell, the Great Grandson of Charles Burrell and the last in the family line, died on April 4th. Very sad but I'm sure he was proud that so many engines build by the family still survive today.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Re: June 2012 Old Glory

Post  craig@STW on Thu 17 May 2012, 9:45 am

i'm sure there's some unwritten rule somewhere that says "if your going to promote the latest mag on a company forum, you have to at least praise that companies latest advert" ????? Razz Wink

actually, that buyers guide sounds interesting !!!

craig@STW

Number of posts : 1194
Registration date : 2010-05-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Thu 17 May 2012, 10:00 am

Yes, this months OG is very good, already ordered the Ex Mayor from Midsummer as I have all the others, if anyones interested it is a retooling of other models but is NOT a repainted version of anything else they have done previously. Jan said it take the wheels and barrell from " The President " model plus new bits to make it right.

Buyers guide says what it needs to for newbies, could have done with emphasizing the need to consider carefully what you want from the engine you buy before you spend the dosh, I realised very quickly that I wanted a 4" after buying 3" and as soon as Steve told me about the RL run I wanted that despite having taken delivery of the 4" only 4 weeks before..... the rest as they say is history.

Last edited by highpressure on Thu 17 May 2012, 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Thu 17 May 2012, 10:29 am

craig@STW wrote:i'm sure there's some unwritten rule somewhere that says "if your going to promote the latest mag on a company forum, you have to at least praise that companies latest advert" ????? Razz Wink

actually, that buyers guide sounds interesting !!!

lol! Craig you are quite right I have to say I like the advert, also good to see its moving further towards the front of the mag. Hope it brings in more orders to keep you all busy. For everyone who has not seen it......why are you not looking at the Facebook page!! lol!

Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Adam Brown on Thu 17 May 2012, 11:46 pm

highpressure wrote:Yes, this months OG is very good, already ordered the Ex Mayor from Midsummer as I have all the others, if anyones interested it is a retooling of other models but is NOT a repainted version of anything else they have done previously. Jan said it take the wheels and barrell from " The President " model plus new bits to make it right.

Buyers guide says what it needs to for newbies, could have done with emphasizing the need to consider carefully what you want from the engine you buy before you spend the dosh, I realised very quickly that I wanted a 4" after buying 3" and as soon as Steve told me about the RL run I wanted that despite having taken delivery of the 4" only 4 weeks before..... the rest as they say is history.

When have we every simply repainted a previous model? We're daft don't you know Very Happy The cost of making all the changes from model to model has robbed all the profit from the job! If we'd just done a Corgi we could even have squeezed Fosters & Fowlers out of the same tooling! Mayor will probably be our last scenic for a while and is selling very well. If you want technical details Jane (Mother) isn't the best to ask - I'm the one liasing with the lovely folks in China. There are quite a few changes on this from Beatty - which is the most similar in terms of detail so is used as the base. Bigger wheels, smaller tyres, extra canopy supports, and all manor of minor tooling changes which cost a bomb. Moving the lamps around the canopy calls for new tooling. I wish we could just change the paint in the gun - it'd make life less stressful!

Adam Brown

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-02-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Fri 18 May 2012, 6:05 am

Hi Adam,

Please dont think I was undermining the superb job you have made of any of the models you have made so far, I have all six in cases so have no issues with the quality of any you have done. I was trying to say that having spoken to Jane yesterday if any one was thinking " Oh another variant of a showmans " or something along that vein that the model is a different build and NOT simply a repaint. There are a lot of buyers for this one and "The President" due to the STW models and their full size popularity but there are certainly going to be those out there, who unlike me can't simply stroll into the lounge to physically see the difference between each model who might have thought that. Trust me you can carry on bringing out these and I will be one of the first in the queue as I'm sure mum will confirm with previous orders. I have asked each year if there will be a roller of crane or GMT as a variant or even moves to another maker all of which I would gladly find shelf space for.

Regards Kev.

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Fri 18 May 2012, 10:47 am

For the last two days I've meant to call and order one, but not found the time. Must do so on Monday or it looks like I'll be disappointed. Crying or Very sad

Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Adam Brown on Sun 20 May 2012, 12:11 pm

highpressure wrote:Hi Adam,

Please dont think I was undermining the superb job you have made of any of the models you have made so far, I have all six in cases so have no issues with the quality of any you have done. I was trying to say that having spoken to Jane yesterday if any one was thinking " Oh another variant of a showmans " or something along that vein that the model is a different build and NOT simply a repaint. There are a lot of buyers for this one and "The President" due to the STW models and their full size popularity but there are certainly going to be those out there, who unlike me can't simply stroll into the lounge to physically see the difference between each model who might have thought that. Trust me you can carry on bringing out these and I will be one of the first in the queue as I'm sure mum will confirm with previous orders. I have asked each year if there will be a roller of crane or GMT as a variant or even moves to another maker all of which I would gladly find shelf space for.

Regards Kev.

Hi Kev, no drama I wasn't at all unhappy with what you said. Its always been a problem with people thinking they're all the same and I hear what your saying. I can't see a Roller or Crane in the near future, the tooling costs make it fairly prohibitive. Though we may find something non Burrell in the next couple of years

Adam Brown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Tue 22 May 2012, 4:49 pm

Adam Brown wrote: I can't see a Roller or Crane in the near future, the tooling costs make it fairly prohibitive. Though we may find something non Burrell in the next couple of years

Bodacea?????

Atlas?????

BB1????

Cheers

Brian

PS: 3 of your models in the cabinet, President included as I am building the road loco cheers

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adam Brown on Wed 23 May 2012, 12:52 am

It probably won't be until at least 2014. I think I've worked out next years release and we'll see how that goes first

I don't favour a Fowler though it'd look nice I have some other ideas. It all depends on the chinese people and how reasonable their quotes are!

Adam Brown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:46 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top