Two showman get an outing

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Two showman get an outing

Post  Brian M on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 8:34 am

A great day yesterday and many positive comments. We had two showman engines at a 'Steam Gathering' in Cheshire, nearly a third from STW, but unfortunately Pete was unable to attend on his DCC Road Loco.

Then all the miniatures got together!

Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Two showman get an outing

Post  MrStationHouse on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 9:41 am

Almost there chaps!

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2011-04-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 10:33 am

Excellent outing then.

Nice to see others out and about. Look very impressive in the line up. Well done both.
My first 2012 outing is not until June as the May event was cancelled. So done some steam cleaning today and fireing practice.

lynnr

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 11:11 am

Absolutely delightful to see some more showmans engines........... Nice pictures...well done!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 1:30 pm

The weekend was great you can see more pictures on TT and comments. We thought 1 or 2 full size engines would turn up and a few miniatures 4". It ended up 12 full size engines (plus Bill turned up with he static engine) and 10 miniatures 4" and 6". People were saying that it was bigger than a number of rallies they go to. The atmosphere was relaxed and people did what they wanted to do. I was talking to one of the guys 'Denis' who has a Fowler and keeps an interest in how my build is coming along he asked my wife if she enjoyed coming to these events. She said 'no' he looked shocked and FROGGED marched her off to his engine and made he take it down the lane, I have a great picture of her driving this Fowler with pure shock on her face. Twisted Evil

From the picture with some of the miniatures what you don't see is the amount of people standing me behind me taking the same picture (when I got out of the way). It was a shame that Sunday was heavy rain all day and we all went home early but fun was had by all who came on Saturday.

http://www.tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=22014&highlight=reports

Link to Dave's pictures

Flasback

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 3:05 pm

A great set of photos, sounds like it was a great day.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 944
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M on Mon 30 Apr 2012, 9:48 am

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind comments, just taken ownership of the last four kits to come out from STW. Really excited, as I will not be to far behind other builders once I get stuck in Very Happy .

All the best,

Brian M

Brian M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback on Mon 30 Apr 2012, 10:42 am

strange that me too..... Razz

Flasback

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Tue 01 May 2012, 12:18 am

Hi Brian and Flashback (Not sure of real name)

Nice that you are getting stuck into the latest 4 kits.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Tue 01 May 2012, 3:13 am

Brian/Dwane

Great pictures, your engines are looking good. I particularly like the fact you have parked them eithe side of Clive's road loco in the line up. I am annoyed I could not get there myself but I had other commitments unfortunately - some of which was spending time in my workshop getting mine done.

It is also good to note that David got pictures of both your engines being unloded and posted them in his report on TT - they obviously caused quite a stir. Did anyone make any comments about them, particularly as they are kits.

Cheers

Brian

PS: Are you taking them to the Cheshire Steam Fair in July? I might have my boiler certificate for mine before then so I am still planning oin taking it. Just working out the logisitcs and we came to the conclusion that a trailer is the way to go and we will try and sort out a camper van to replace our caravan.

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M on Tue 01 May 2012, 12:20 pm

Hello Brian,

The Three Grey Hounds gathering was the first outing for my engine, so to say I was apprehensive about showing the showman was an understatement.

Both Dwain and I have had lots of interest in our engines leading up to the event and nobody has been derogative about it being a ‘kit’, in fact completely the opposite from miniature and full size engine owners. I was sharing a gazebo with a chap who has built his engine from scratch, so he was interested in the differences, and again was very genuine in his praise.

If privately, people want to moan about these not being true miniatures, come and have a look at the work involved in building the kits. STW do a fantastic job at machining the parts and providing the work instructions, but we still have to add many hours of dedication putting them together.

So my question would be, if a person built an engine and purchased a cast, does that make their engine a part ‘kit’. In fact I can imagine many people buy engines already built, so where does that put them.

At the end of the day, I am building my engine this way because I want to. I am not interested in politics, showmanship or just bragging rights, I am doing it to have fun and run around on what I would consider to be a great piece of machinery (off my soapbox... Mad )

I was really pleased with the feedback and have been invited to show the engine at other events.

Future local gatherings - The plan is to have two 4” and one 6” showman in lights at the event next year, so watch this space.

All the best,
Brian

P.S. If you are thinking of taking your engine to the Cheshire Steam fair, I would contact Clive, as I know he has had a lot of interest and may have reached the limit.

Brian M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Tue 01 May 2012, 3:42 pm

Whhooaaaa there!!!!! Did I strike a nerve?? affraid

I will definately watch out for this event next year, it looks great fun. Also, I just had a look at the AMTEC website, nice job. I see one or two more pictures of your engines too - very professional. I also spotted a very good picture of Clive in the gallery, it shows him grinning with pint on the roof of his engine outside the pub at last years Cheshire Steam Fair, a great night I may add.

I must put an application in for AMTEC membership, the club seems to have the right philosophy - beer festivals at their own events! Razz !!

Have you entered yours at the Cheshire do in July? I just PMed Clive via Traction Talk to see if I can get mine in - whatever state it is in. Just on the lookout for a trailer now.

What kits are you working on now?? You said you have caught up and so have I. It will take a couple of weeks to get all the bits done and fitted but I am trying. Just doing the cleading now soI can put the motion back together for the final time.

Cheers

Brian

bjwlancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback on Tue 01 May 2012, 11:24 pm

Hi Brian,

We are both working on kit 22, but we have got the kits up to 28 (excluding the kits not out yet). Brian M was not jumping up and down its just a few people we thought would not like kit engines but that is far from the case.

I had a call last night from Chris with regards to doing the Kelsall rally next year (which is in June and near Chester). That is usually a laugh, and will give us time to get the engines finished (applications have to go in around Jan time; so get it in when the time comes) can't do this year as we have to do more on the engines to get them in a fit state for middlewich transport event as the engine owners are on about meeting at Brian's and have a road run down to the site (we both will be on push poles as the gearing etc will be done). If you look at the Kelsall website you will see how good it looks, plus the engines can move about.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of BB

Dwain

Last edited by Flasback on Sun 06 May 2012, 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Flasback

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M on Wed 02 May 2012, 12:32 am

Hi Brian,

Whhooaaaa there!!!!! Did I strike a nerve??

I am just passionate, apologies if it came across a bit strong.

Thanks for the comments on the AMTEC Web site, I am just re-doing the frontpage, so it should be more informative when readers first land on it... Very Happy

As mentioned by Dwain, we have a busy year ahead, with the build, events, gatherings and so on.

Clive has been a good source of knowledge with advise throughout the build and loaning his trailer, so we can get about. We have also 'booked' his service when we start to light the fire Exclamation

All the best,

Brian

Brian M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Wed 02 May 2012, 12:37 am

Brian M wrote:Hi Brian,

Whhooaaaa there!!!!! Did I strike a nerve??

I am just passionate, apologies if it came across a bit strong.

Thanks for the comments on the AMTEC Web site, I am just re-doing the frontpage, so it should be more informative when readers first land on it... Very Happy

As mentioned by Dwain, we have a busy year ahead, with the build, events, gatherings and so on.

Clive has been a good source of knowledge with advise throughout the build and loaning his trailer, so we can get about. We have also 'booked' his service when we start to light the fire Exclamation

All the best,

Brian

What is the URL?

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M on Wed 02 May 2012, 1:18 am

www.AMTEC-UK.org

Cheers,

Brian

Brian M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Wed 02 May 2012, 3:29 am

Hi

Where did you get your spark caps from?

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M on Wed 02 May 2012, 4:15 am

Hi Lynn,

Local building suppliers, 100 mm caps, £4.00. Paying £60 - £70 for a spark arrester seemed a little over the top.

I also plan to have an arrester in the funnel Smile

Cheers,

Brian

Brian M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Wed 02 May 2012, 4:57 am

Brian M wrote:

I also plan to have an arrester in the funnel Smile

Hello, is someone building a steam ship too?????

What are you buying as a spark arrestor, is it a device for stopping leaves going down your drain pipe? You could also buy a large sieve and weld strips onto it so it goes down your chimney, I have seen one in our kitchen drawer that looks about right. Twisted Evil

I think I will have to have a closer look at the rally callender the Cheshire rallies, not to far for me and it looks like it could be fun drunken

I have also got up to kit 28 and have been putting all the water the fittings together ready to fit to the engine, water gauge is on excluding the drain pipe as it needs some serious bending to get it to fit. When I was at STW last week they were getting the next kit ready and it includes the govenor so you can fill another hole. I will post a couple more pictures soon but it does no look like much has changed as the motion is off at the moment and crankshaft and eccentric straps are still out getting powder coated red - should be done this week. Once that comes back and I get the crank back on I can get all the finaal drive gears back on for good. Also, I should have my painted tender back in a couple of weeks What a Face

I look forward to seeing both your engines in person soon, keep up the great progress. Are you taking them to the Cheshire Steam Fair?

Brian

bjwlancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell on Wed 02 May 2012, 4:59 am

Looking very nice guys cant wait to see you all at rallies in the near future..

Jo

northburrell

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-10-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW on Wed 02 May 2012, 9:51 am

If privately, people want to moan about these not being true miniatures, come and have a look at the work involved in building the kits. STW do a fantastic job at machining the parts and providing the work instructions, but we still have to add many hours of dedication putting them together

couldn't agree more. I've spent the best part of 13 years making "parts" for these kits but i wouldn't claim to have "made an engine"
we make the parts, but its the owners that breathe life into them and make them things to be proud of.

craig@STW

Number of posts : 1194
Registration date : 2010-05-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Wed 02 May 2012, 2:20 pm

13 years.....you must almost be due a long service Medal set of kits.

Some, me included, could not achieve it without the hard work done by all of you at STW. It must make you all very proud to see the engines you have helped create on the rally field, and rightly so. It's a partnership and every engine is a team effort between you guys (the fabrication team) up there in Daventry and us ( the builders) spread all over the country. I've not heard anyone openly negative, but I'm sure there will be someone......there always is.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 944
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster on Sat 05 May 2012, 8:13 am

How could you possibly be negative about those two beauties!

Kev

Kevster

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M on Sat 19 May 2012, 1:52 pm

I look forward to seeing both your engines in person soon, keep up the great progress. Are you taking them to the Cheshire Steam Fair?

Hi Brian,

Hopefully, one will be there, I am not sure about both... Exclamation

Cheers,

Brian M

Brian M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Tue 22 May 2012, 4:54 pm

Brian

Not so sure about having mine ready now, even if Clive could fit me in, sudden unplanned house move on the cards for mid July - on the positive side, double garage comes with it and enough of a garden to have a miniature steam rally.

I need to book camping at Cheshire but it could be the same weekend we end up moving - mixed feelings on that one Neutral

Keep up the good work.

Brian W

bjwlancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:44 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next