Graeme's road loco

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Graeme's road loco

Post  Graeme81 on Thu 19 Jan 2012, 2:57 am

Just a few pics from my trip home over the Christmas...alll credit for the build so far to my father as I am currently in the US.... Neutral
still plenty to do! (and yes i do realise there is undercoat on the horn plates that will most likely burn off!) Rolling Eyes

also a few pics of us driving my cousins 4in stw burrell with my son very eager to help where-ever he can!

Graeme81

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2009-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Graeme's road loco

Post  lynnr on Thu 19 Jan 2012, 3:42 am

Looking good.

Check the stick of the masking tape on the wheels. If you leave it for a week it most possibly will not want to come off. (From experience)

lynnr

Number of posts : 2716
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:02 am

Yep, nice to see some more pics on the forum, as Lynn says "looking good"!!
Your paint on the horn plates should be OK............. However, the smokebox maybe a different kettle of fish (or is that jacket potatoes?)
regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:22 am

Tony King wrote:Yep, nice to see some more pics on the forum, as Lynn says "looking good"!!
Your paint on the horn plates should be OK............. However, the smokebox maybe a different kettle of fish (or is that jacket potatoes?)
regards,
Tony

You may be able to fit a fish kettle in the smokebox.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Thu 19 Jan 2012, 5:15 am

I see we are back to talking food again, and here's me eating a crab butty, glad I just proof read the crab bit as the b had become a p.

Nice to see an engine before it gets all the shiny blingy bits on.

Ian

IanL

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2011-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Thu 19 Jan 2012, 5:59 am

IanL wrote:I see we are back to talking food again, and here's me eating a crab butty, glad I just proof read the crab bit as the b had become a p.

Nice to see an engine before it gets all the shiny blingy bits on.

Ian

True. Bottom feeder in a bun. NO thank you very much!
Mine is not that shiny. Engine I mean!

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 on Thu 30 Aug 2012, 4:56 am

as of 27th august 2012...still waiting on the flywheel kit! and i know that masking tape is gonna be a bugger to get off! Evil or Very Mad

Graeme81

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Thu 30 Aug 2012, 5:24 am

Nice to see progress.

Yup. How long has the masking tape been on? 5 months?
I got my flywheel kit last friday and it does make things easier when you are checking bearings and gears to be able to spin the crank using the flywheel.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Thu 30 Aug 2012, 5:40 am

If the masking tape leaves glue on the wheels , dip a piece of rag in light oil eg 3in1 and rub the offending glue, normally takes it off a treat.
Ian

IanL

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2011-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 on Thu 30 Aug 2012, 7:15 am

the front wheels have been taped up since day 1 so that will be fun the rest have been about 6 months. cheers for the tip Ian i will give it a try. have heard nothing about the flywheel kit yet i usually get an email when a kit is ready. is it just the flywheel and gear change?

Graeme81

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Thu 30 Aug 2012, 7:43 am

Basically yes. Flywheel and Gear change.

Gear change. Lots of bits and quite a time to be spent setting things correctly, the odd bend here, the odd tweak there. I welded up 3 of the holes on my lock plate, normalized the steel, cleaned and flattened, then redrilled and tapped in slightly different positions. (Was quicker than sending the supplied adjustment template back for a new plate to be fabricated. Took about 9 hours total, 1 hour to redo the plate excluding slow cooling time. The locking pin positions were causing a lot of tension on the gear saddles but now cured.

Flywheel comes with the brake system for it. You may need to fabricate/request a washer to use as a spacer between the water pump gear and the wheel. My flywheel fouled a number of places when I tried to butt up to the pump gear as stated. I ground down 1 rivet on the gear guard. After testing again I needed a 3mm washer, home made from a sheet of brass, this gives about 1 mm clearance between the flywheel and the brake shaft and also the gear guard. This can be seen in my picture thread.

You also get a nice length of chain for the whistle and the 2 bungs for the water tanks.
Finally you get the right hand drive boss and axial sleeve and pin. No more right hand wheel falling off. Mine was held in place by 2 plastic drain pipe and home made washers. I needed to remove a 1mm washer from the diff pack to allow the axial pins to fit correctly and everything works.

This kit gives you everything to allow, testing for certification and running the engine.

P.S. 1 item is missing currently. Blanking plug for the top of the block for the 2nd whistle/siren port.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 on Thu 30 Aug 2012, 11:56 pm

getting close now...would be nice to have some of the other stw dcc engines in Ireland for a rally someday

Graeme81

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:16 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top