Pic Updates

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pic Updates

Post  Weston on Mon 02 Jan 2012, 10:15 am

So I hope everyone had a very good Christmas and New years. Time off from work gave me a chance to get on with some of the build. Its been really mild weather so far so its been quite pleasant out in the garage. Anyways on with the pictures

Kit 2 dry assembly

Dry assembly of kit 3, all going together really well.

Fisrt coat of black, now popping in the riv bolts.

My "greenhouse" spray booth. keeps all the over spray off the car tongue

on with the paint,

putting it all together,

More pics to come, just wainting for the paint to dry Wink

Regards

Weston

Weston

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pic Updates

Post  IanL on Mon 02 Jan 2012, 10:44 am

I like the coffee table!

Good to see your results, I am still waiting for kits 2&3 I am doing the DCC road loco but do have other kits currently working on it 9.

Ian

IanL

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2011-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Mon 02 Jan 2012, 11:59 am

Hi Weston

Good to see progress. Yes nice coffee table. 3.5V8 SD1 block?
Also is it a series 1 I spy under the covers?

lynnr

Number of posts : 2716
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Pic Updates

Post  Weston on Mon 02 Jan 2012, 11:23 pm

Thanks for the comments guys,

yes that is a rover SD1 block, it was supposed to be the basis of a new engine from my series rebuild but upon internal inspection i found it to be full of mud Question Question so its fate was sealed as my coffee table. oh and you was nearly right Lynn, its a series 2 underneath the covers.

Hopefully i'll have some pics of the first "colour" parts soon,

Regards

Weston

Weston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Frostie on Tue 03 Jan 2012, 10:49 am

Hi Weston,

Thats looks like a productive Xmas buddy !!! Well done its looking good so far.

Mal (Frostie)

Frostie

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-09-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Getting there.

Post  Weston on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 3:32 am

Things are getting there, I have been able to to get a couple of under coats on the perch and front axle, so hopefully at the weekend I will be able to get some top coat on. Just out of interest frostie have you been spraying your parts or hand painting?

Regards

Ryan

Weston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Frostie on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 5:08 am

Hi Ryan,

I have been spraying my parts, I find that Craftmaster paint sprays really well.
What colour are you going for ??

Mal

Frostie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Spraying

Post  Weston on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:32 am

I too have gone for the craftmaster paint, its good stuff so far getting on with it well. I have been hand painting the undercoats as i can do that in the kitchen where it is nice and warm tongue However I am going to apply the top coats with my gun, I was just wondering what ratio have you found best with the thinners?

Ryan

Weston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Frostie on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:01 am

Hi Ryan,

I am using 15% as per Craftmaster reccomendation.
Its very forgiving to use, but dont be tempted to lay it on too thick, I find that a fine spray takes a little longer, but I get a better deep shine finish..
I give it 1 coat of primer, 2 coats of undercoat and at least three coat of gloss.

Mal

Frostie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weston on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 12:04 pm

Thanks for that, i'll give that a a try at the weekend and let you know how I get on. I've gone for an olive green and chocolate brown colour scheme so i'm interested to see what it'll look like.

Ryan

Weston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Frostie on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 1:01 pm

Ryan,

I have noted that the topcoat is not tolerant of any type of grease or oil or any other "stuff" that might get on the u/coat whilst it is laying around/drying. my worst case was during my 2" build when I used some WD40 in the garage, whilst I had some components hardening off over on the opposite side. The fine oil mist must have drifted over to the undercoated items, the rest was a nightmare when I came to laying on the top coat.... I had to go back to bare metal in order to cure the problem of getting the paint to stick !!! It took me ages to realise what I had done, and why the paint kept spoiling.
Olive green, and brown wheels are a good combo !!
Good luck buddy.

Mal.

Frostie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Colour

Post  Weston on Mon 09 Jan 2012, 2:48 pm

Been adding colour to my build over the last week, I have been able to build up a couple of layers of undercoat and then get a layer of top coat on. still need to put one last layer on. Really happy with the results, the craftmaster paint is really nice stuff to work with. To anyone reading this that is unsure about hand painting or spraying I must admit that all my parts have come out with a better look and finish when spraying.

Over the week I was adding layers to the undercoat to get a nice build up of paint and even out the surface of the casting.

Flatten back after each coat

All parts now with a flat and even coat

Spraying tent

Out of the tent and into the garage.

Front axel

Now hardening off and a bit of prep work for the final top coat. I just need to remove some of the over spray from the running surfaces and then assemble to the smoke box.

Regards

Weston

Weston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Brush and spray

Post  lynnr on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:20 am

Very nice Weston.

That is a very green green! Like your idea of priming and undercoat in brush then top coat spray to finish.

Have you considered putting your thread in the Photo section so it does not get lost in the day to day queries etc.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Frostie on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:15 am

its looking very good Ryan, I like the colour mate..

Mal

Frostie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weston on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 12:28 am

Cheers guys, things have been coming along. Been able to assemble my painted parts together last night, just got my wheels to paint up now Very Happy When I get a change I will move the thread over to the owner Photos area.

Regards

Weston

Weston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 12:01 am

@ weston....

i have moved this topic over here to the "owners photos" area as this is where all the other build topics seem to have gathered.

hope that's OK

Craig Cool

craig@STW

Number of posts : 1194
Registration date : 2010-05-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hudmut on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 12:33 am

Some thing that you might find intresting is when you bolt that on to your smoke box is to clean the piant of under the bolts because you cant grip the head of them to stop them turning when doing the hole lot up it will pull and tear your paint and make a mess. You will be fine else where because you can get a spanner on the head of the bolt.

Hope this will save you some hart break to you new paint oh and the Tamya model masking tape is better to use on fresh paint as is very low tack and wont pull of you paint when removing and will cut very easy along the edge of a casting line but use a hammer not a blade ?.

Stu

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/hudmut/My%20little%20secret/

hudmut

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-07-05

View user profile http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/hudmut/My%20little%20se

Back to top Go down

Post  Weston on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 6:24 am

Thanks for moving that Craig, I was just wondering how to move a thread. Also cheers for the tip Stu, I will be attempting to put it all together that the weekend so I will let you know how I get on.

Regards

Ryan

Weston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Update

Post  Weston on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 2:53 pm

Haven't posted for a while so I thought I would give an update as to what I have been doing, Have only received the first few kits so I have had the relentless task of getting all of the wheels done. Been adding things as I have gone along and making tools to make life easier. As most of us did with the 4" agricultural I decided to fillet the rims with polyester filler, which is fine but when you come to "hitting" in the rivet bolts its causes all kinds of problems with cracking. So I ended up redoing my first wheel and making a tool to "squeeze" the bolts into place.

Pics Very Happy

Putting the chimney together

Machining a new top to the chimney

New Top fitted in place, this reduced the gaps around the top and bottom of the copper chimney capping.

Ready to be sprayed

First coat, now waiting to jb weld the base ring and final paint prep.

Getting the wheels ready so I can apply the first "full" coat of primer, I have built and primed the wheels in stages as getting the fillets to look right with the rivet bolts in place would be a nightmare.

Wheels apart again for a wet sand and flat back, this will highlight any small defects before final assembly.

I used a tool I made to insert the rivet bolts, this was a lot more forgiving than hitting them in with a hammer, as I previously had problems with my fillet cracking.

wheels finally assembled.

Grinding and finishing the back of the rivet bolts

Dob of jb weld on the back of each one to smooth things off,

Now ready for undercoat.

Moving on the the rear wheels, I made a frame to seat the rear wheel, this has help achieve a "spun fillet"

Thats as far as I have got really, but longer nights means are just around the corner so more daylight to work in, might be in the workshop more tongue

Regards

Ryan

Weston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 3:07 pm

Welldone Ryan looking good so far. We had the same problem with our front wheels and cracking filler. For the rear wheels we used JB Weld which in our case solved the problem, although your tool would have helped us no end on the rears. We ended up heating the spokes in the oven and putting the rivets in the freezer to get them all in.

I also do like your wheel frame, it will also make lining out easier.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 4:07 pm

Looking good - what is that green stuff you've masked the chimney cap with?

Dan

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2011-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weston on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 4:24 pm

yeh I have decided to use jb weld on the rear wheels too, run a wet finger over it and you can get a really nice fillet. and as you say rob its quite tough stuff too.

Its just green masking tape on my chimney, its a really low tack variety as I have already polished the capping so didn't want to get to much tack stuck to it.

Ryan

Weston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 2:29 am

Starting to take shape.

Never seen a traction engine with a thermostatic chimney Very Happy (3rd picture down). And I gather you are a Landrover owner.

Couple of pictures of the little crane in the background would be nice to see.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 11:44 am

lynnr wrote: Never seen a traction engine with a thermostatic chimney Very Happy (3rd picture down). And I gather you are a Landrover owner.

Now you see the other problem with the iPad is that I missed e crane engine in the background cos the screen is not that big.

I also glad to see you can get away with putting your front wheel on the hob....very brave, I'm impressed.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Weston on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 4:04 pm

Of new design that thermostatic controlled engine, keeps the fire at a constant temp all day long Wink

My misses has to put up with that, I can get away with engine parts in the house. But when I put Range Rover parts in the dishwasher I was in trouble, plates and cups had grease specs on them for days..... still my engine parts looked great

Weston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:50 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top