Frederick SRL(S)

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Go down

Re: Frederick SRL(S)

Post  Tim Watson on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 7:59 pm

Bit difficult to gauge as the coal was supplied loose at GDSF.   However, we only burnt a bunker full each evening when generating, so probably more economical.  Size is less of an issue of course, but I generally go for big lumps.

Tim
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 8:24 pm

That does sound like it is. I think I shall be ordering myself a lump of steel. Might cheat a little and see if I can find someone to set it up on one of those new fangled CNC things to drill the holes, although I suppose if I did some every evening it wouldnt take too long.

I was going to say can you give us a close up picture of how much of a bow has happened.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2013-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 10:21 pm

The amount of sag is about 6mm at the middle of the length: about the same as the conventional bars in use.

Tim
Tim Watson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Thu 07 Sep 2017, 11:15 pm

Been thinking a bit more about this and wondered if a stainless plate might be worth the investment ?

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Thu 07 Sep 2017, 11:27 pm

Only if someone else drills the holes!

Tim
Tim Watson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 6:32 pm

yeah did wonder about that aspect Laughing

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  the governer on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 6:53 pm

Tim,
If you did another, as the holes are all aligned, do you think there would be any mileage in welding a few webs along the back.

I am considering this as I am still in the build process, and I can get the initial holes knocked through on a water jet cutter.

Mark.
the governer

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2013-10-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 7:21 pm

There might be a case for webs Mark, but it is already quite heavy.  It may stay with that slight sag.  I have a few runs lined up over September, so will keep an eye on it.

Tim
Tim Watson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 on Wed 08 Aug 2018, 2:18 pm

Tim Watson wrote:

This modification will make life so much easier and cleaner for oiling up.  I will probably do a similar exercise on the nearside hind wheel oiler, but this one is less of a problem for access.  If you are making a new engine, I would strongly recommend a similar type of modification BEFORE you get all the other stuff on your engine.

Tim

Hi Tim

i‘d like to follow your recommendation and alter the oiling accordingly. Where did you get the T-fitting, been trying to find such a small one, but the ones I‘ve found seemed to be much larger.

Elwood

elwood-59

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2014-12-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Wed 08 Aug 2018, 3:09 pm

Hi Elwood

http://www.steamfittings.co.uk/asp/components.asp?CatID=40&SubCatID=66

Has various.

I am thinking of doing mine and the 2nd shaft this winter.
lynnr

Number of posts : 2975
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Wed 12 Sep 2018, 10:58 am

With the high mileage that Frederick has done on the road and at some speed I was pleased to see that the mesh on the drive gears has shown up a perfect long oval in the middle of the teeth. Credit to the design and the machining of the gears for this to be so. cheers
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Wed 12 Sep 2018, 6:43 pm

lynnr wrote:Hi Elwood

http://www.steamfittings.co.uk/asp/components.asp?CatID=40&SubCatID=66

Has various.

I am thinking of doing mine and the 2nd shaft this winter.

I don’t think there is any reason for the Tee piece, other than it being in the bits box. A right angle joiner should suffice: one end is blocked off.

Tim
Tim Watson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 11:23 am

Hi Tim,

Yes, of course, for the function an elbow would be sufficient, I was only thinking about the T as I liked the idea to be able to check if oil is coming down just to the top of the axle box.

@ Lynn yes I knew „steamfittings.co.uk“ and had placed an order there - excellent & quick service (delivery to Germany!) but their T fittings are - for this application - quite large. But then again, they were not meant for that either...

THX

Elwood

Struggling with the gears on the crankshaft and hoping that this time the paint on the tender does come out better - three time is the charm ? Embarassed

elwood-59

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2014-12-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Clack not seating

Post  Tim Watson on Fri 21 Sep 2018, 5:33 pm

During our recent epic road run the injector worked very well (probably because it was receiving a constant flow of cold water) but has subsequently become less reliable, clearly due to blow-back from the boiler clack.  It was dribbling and letting steam by, which was stopped by turning off the clack.

On examination of the clack at Old Warden rally, and today, it was evident that the ball had dished out the seating too much: as can be seen in the photo, which shows a little bit of the seating cleaned up (bright ring) to show the inner bevelled opening.

I am fortunate to have a stepped mill that is an exact sliding fit for the pipe opening. It has a morse taper and so runs true in the drill press and self centres down the feed pipe bore, with the clack casting secured in a machine vice.

This was then used to tidy up the seating, by removing 0.6mm and the ball just tapped into it using a brass drift and hammer.

The clack top cap had a new limiter bolt fitted.  The vertical clearance for the ball should be 1/3rd it’s diameter.

Won’t know if it’s been successful now until next season, as Frederick is drained down for the winter: it should be substantially better.

Thank you to everyone who has donated to our Parkinson’s UK Justgiving Page.

Tim

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/parkinsons-miniaturesteamrun
Tim Watson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12