Frederick SRL(S)

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How does the juice flow from the commutator?

Post  Tim Watson on Sat 17 Aug 2013, 3:59 pm

The brush gear and commutator on the STW dynamos are very good indeed.  However, there is no wiring to get the (pretend) juice from the (pretend) commutator and brush gear.  Looking at photos of the real thing, there is a lead that comes off the brush gear near the bearing end with a collar and bolt fixing.  To represent this I modified the spacer collar on the brush gear by silver soldering on a nut and bolt with a hole drilled to take the wire, soft soldered into it. It's not accurate, but reasonably representative and robust.

Modified spacer

Wire in place: this is a bit of satellite cable - the copper core wire makes it rigid and bendable, whilst the cable is fat enough to represent the actual leads.

The extra wires add a lot more interest to an already excellent representation.

I also chemically blacked the commutator, as the slots are normally dark and the commutator picks up marks from the brush gear.  When running, I may use a fibre glass brush to polish the brush gear tracks.

Look forward to seeing the whole lot at work on 'Frederick'.  I have now re-installed the dynamos and will fit the ammeter / voltmeter when they arrive.

Max showing how strong he is to balance the engine on his shoulders!

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Modifying the regulator

Post  Tim Watson on Fri 23 Aug 2013, 4:37 pm

Having made the puck for the regulator from aluminium bronze a few days ago, I have now made and fitted the stainless steel bed plate for it.  

The plate was made from 30mm x 5mm strip cut to the length of the ground part of the regulator on the cylinder head.  The steel plate was made flat by grinding it on coarse-fine grades of carborundum paper on our dead flat granite kitchen worktop, with a figure of eight motion.  This avoids biasing the plate.  

The regulator opening was made the same diameter as the one in the cylinder head and then this was used to locate the plate for the two locating bolt holes to be drilled, firstly in the plate (on a drill press) and then using these holes to act as drill guides for the tapping holes in the cylinder (4 BA).

The paper towel was used to stop swarf going in the wrong places.

Once the holes were drilled and a starting notch filed in, the surface of the plate was re-ground and then the puck and plate lapped together with some metal polish.  The finish was sufficient for the two components to stick together by surface tension with some water between them.

The plate was then bedded onto the cylinder head with some JB Weld - filled epoxy - and located with two brass dome head screws.

The brass screws clear the operating rod and puck.  The starting notch can be seen in the steel plate on the right.  Let's hope this modification works: it certainly won't corrode.

Tim

Tim Watson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dynamo control board

Post  Tim Watson on Sat 24 Aug 2013, 11:06 am

In readiness for the engine going to GDSF, I have made up and fitted the control board for the dynamo(s).  This final kit for the SRL goes together easily, but fixing it to the dynamo bracket could be a bit tricky.  It would be useful to be able to remove the board relatively easily, and so I have modified the fixings to allow this.

The two holes in the dynamo support platform were tapped 6mm and two short allen bolts inserted from underneath with a little bit of thread lock on them.

The meter board has two steel brackets for mounting on the platform (the original fixing was a nut and bolt - not sure how you were supposed to tighten them).  The holes in these brackets for the fixing bolts needed enlarging and easing slightly on the angle to let the board clip over the bolts.  

The nuts on the top for fixing the meter board are dome headed (out of deference to Tony).  The board looks cute, with it's dummy switchgear and miniature ammeter and voltmeter.  The photos were taken in the box van, hence the somewhat restricted view: I still have to fit the + & - signs above the terminals.

If the weather is a bit better tomorrow, I will take some pictures outside.

Tim

Last edited by Tim Watson on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 12:07 am; edited 2 times in total

Tim Watson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Frederick SRL(S)

Post  lynnr on Sat 24 Aug 2013, 11:17 am

Nice

lynnr

Number of posts : 2716
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Sat 24 Aug 2013, 4:19 pm

Looking forward to seeing it in the flash at GDSF Tim. It looks fantastic.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

All ready for GDSF

Post  Tim Watson on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 9:15 am

Engine collected by Steve today for GDSF.  All polished up.

I couldn't resist this picture, taken at my grandson's birthday party at Bressingham (the children's parents are in the RAF: hence the neat lines -apart from one in a boiler suit....).

Tim

Tim Watson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 9:40 am

Outstanding Tim, your engine is going to seriously turn heads!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 11:28 am

Wonderful. Looks very trim!

Well done.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Thu 29 Aug 2013, 2:59 pm

Tim

Having seen the engine at GDSF today I have to say the images just don't do it justice, it looks stunning.

Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse on Fri 30 Aug 2013, 12:44 am

For those of you who haven't seen Frederick in the flesh, here is a YouTube Video of Frederick at the NTET training weekend earlier in the year (before the  canopy was finished)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6rrMU8qQ9k

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2011-04-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Tue 10 Sep 2013, 8:20 am

Subject :- Switch gear mounting

I actually taped the holes in the Dyno platform so that the bolts supplied screw in. A couple threads is ample as there is no pull force on the bolts.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:33 pm

The regulator modification works perfectly and the dynamo is working nicely.

Tim, from a sodden Old Warden

Tim Watson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Frederick SRL

Post  Heavyhaul on Sat 14 Sep 2013, 11:43 am

Hi Tim, it was great to see the engine at Old Warden today, and have a chat. Must say your engine is a real credit to you, it not only looks great but sounds great too. Can't wait to get started on my showmans kit.

Heavyhaul

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2013-07-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Let there be light

Post  Tim Watson on Wed 18 Sep 2013, 7:16 am

Had a successful weekend at Old Warden.  Engine is now beginning to run in.  The road run on Saturday was fun but could have been tricky as the steering chain unwound itself just as we pulled in to the parking area next to my trailer!  The fixing bolt on the steering cross shaft had lost it's nut and slipped out - thank goodness we weren't on the open road at speed.  So I put the belt on and used the engine to make some light to work by (it was dark by then).

Videos below taken at the rally.

The engine will generate at 50 psi and doesn't need to be working fast to look about right.  The dynamo even has the characteristic hum when running and the tick- tick of the belt fastener quite therapeutic.

Tim

Tim Watson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Maintenance height

Post  Tim Watson on Sun 06 Oct 2013, 2:53 pm

Frederick was moved to the shed in the garden last weekend, which makes for a bit more room in the workshop and more space to work on Frederick as well.  

I have been doing a bit of maintenance: small leak in tender tank sealed (- I hope); new PTFE gland ring at the front of the regulator rod etc..  Following from the summer work where the engine was wheeled in and out of the trailer on to the ramps, I re-used the aluminium ramps to give a slightly better height to work, which also makes it very easy to wheel the engine in and out of the shed.

Incidentally, i highly recommend  a bit of Flash for cleaning the roof and wheels.

Tim

Tim Watson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Fri 18 Oct 2013, 12:46 pm

Not to be left out, I see Frederick is in the October edition of Steaming (NTET Magazine), thanks Tim for the cooking tips.  I see a bit of fun can be had with tins of vegetables lol!:

Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Generating in Portsmouth

Post  Tim Watson on Mon 16 Dec 2013, 12:20 am

Couple of photos taken at the Victorian Christmas at Portsmouth at the beginning of December.

With a rather famous backdrop.

The engine was generating for much of the time and I didn't notice the dynamo getting warm: even without the new fan.  The efficiency of generation is very dependant on the belt tension, but the engine revs are not too fast and it is easily powerful and efficient enough to run very well in that mode for a long time.

A really enjoyable weekend with Kevyn, although no full size engines this time.

Happy christmas to everyone!

Tim

Tim Watson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Christmas decorations

Post  Tim Watson on Sun 29 Dec 2013, 10:30 am

I have used the Christmas break to make some progress on the canopy decorations on 'Frederick'.  These are based on 'William V', so are quite complex.  A stencil was cut from 30 thou styrene sheet to act as a basis, although the central pattern at the back was subsequently modified somewhat.

The outline was then filled in with gold paint to act as a backing colour for the gold leaf.

After gold leafing, the flourishes were then blocked in with red.  The central pattern was drawn free hand - quite easy really, once you're in the swing of it.

Finishing touches were a separating line between the gold leaf and the red blocking and a black drop shadow.

Anyone notice the difference between these two images, apart from the time of day? (Hint: count the dots)

The front is also done, and has a space for the number plate, which will be a pressed aluminium job, as per Brian's engine (and my previous engine 'Madeline'): the stencil is better suited for that end. I'll leave the paint for a few days to harden up and then a few coats of varnish.  Next job is the belly tank monograms.

Best wishes to everyone for the New Year
Tim

Last edited by Tim Watson on Tue 31 Dec 2013, 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : inserted extra picture)

Tim Watson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Sun 29 Dec 2013, 1:26 pm

Tim, that is so impressive, you have such skill & patience...... I'm totally in awe of your paint & gold leaf endevors!!
Absolutely superb results!!
What a dramatic way for your engine to see in the new year!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Sun 29 Dec 2013, 3:12 pm

That's a super job it's very hard to get it symmetrical and it looks spot on to me.

Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Mon 30 Dec 2013, 2:28 am

I like that, what happened between pics 3 and 4? In 3 you have the central flourish with dots in and ending and then it seems to have gone across the middle and the dots have gone? I quite liked the dotty one but it didnt cross the middle bit of course. Change of mind or am I going mad.

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Mon 30 Dec 2013, 2:32 pm

Kev:
No more mad than normal. After I started, I realised that the number plate is fixed to the bunker extension at the back, and on the canopy at the front. The stencil was made to suit the front and the pattern in the middle subsequently modified as per 'William V' at the back. In fact there isn't a lot of depth for a number plate on the roof at the back anyway. Very tricky geometry getting the swirls at the back.

Tim

Tim Watson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Tue 31 Dec 2013, 5:46 am

Ah so had you turned the canopy round to paint the front and then switch it round to do the back due to restricted space?

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Tue 31 Dec 2013, 7:58 am

Em.. No, I simply repainted the centre piece at the back and adapted the curly bits. I have about 12" clear either side of the canopy in the workshop, so taking it off and turning it round would not be an option!

Tim

Tim Watson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Wed 01 Jan 2014, 5:03 am

Tim

An absolutely stunning finish to your engine is enhanced again with the finishing touches to the canopy, I cant wait to see it for real one day.

Happy New Year Tim.

Brian

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:18 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next