Crank it up!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Crank it up!!

Post  highpressure on Fri 02 Dec 2011, 8:08 am

To either Craig or Steve

Do we need to take the crank out again? Is there anything else to go on it other than those pieces that go on the outside such as gears and fly wheels etc. I desparately want to put all the bits together but dont want to spend several hours over a weekend assembling only to find it all needs to come apart again. Having so many boxes with part kits in is starting to do my head in here.

Kev.

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Crank it up!!

Post  craig@STW on Fri 02 Dec 2011, 9:28 am

don't honestly know but i thought the answer was yes.

Steve has gone away for the weekend now so probably won't see this till Monday !!!

craig@STW

Number of posts : 1194
Registration date : 2010-05-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Fri 02 Dec 2011, 10:18 am

Yes, waterpump drive but cannot remember if it is inside or out. Looking at the pictures of Ex-Mayor I think the drive is taken from between the LH crank bearing and the flywheel. Looks to be a cover over a belt or gear train. This comes through the hornplates in the small housing just ahead of the crank bearing and then drive is transfered via a rod under the crankshaft and passing through the spectacle plate - in short, I will let Steve confirm. Very Happy

Interestingly, The President does not appear to have a pump, looks like it just has two injectors!

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M on Fri 02 Dec 2011, 12:38 pm

highpressure wrote:To either Craig or Steve

Do we need to take the crank out again? Is there anything else to go on it other than those pieces that go on the outside such as gears and fly wheels etc. I desparately want to put all the bits together but dont want to spend several hours over a weekend assembling only to find it all needs to come apart again. Having so many boxes with part kits in is starting to do my head in here.

Kev.

I know a few other people that think the same Smile

It will all be worth it on the rally field

All the best,

Brian

Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Fri 02 Dec 2011, 2:40 pm

When I looked at the 6" DCC from David Page the pump drive was a gear on the outside of the hornplate inside the back of the fly wheel which would then mean the crank stays put. After that I can only visualise the flywheel ( outside ) and the gear cluster for the drive transfer ( again outside ) so I'm thinking the crank stays put, but need to hear from those who know whats coming to know for sure. It just saves using precious time to put it all together for it all to come apart again and also every time things get put together something gets scratched despite the utmost care to avoid doing so.

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster on Fri 02 Dec 2011, 10:51 pm

I had a look at the cad drawing STW supplied and it shows the drive gears for the pump are on the outside between flywheel and main bearing.

Kev

Kevster

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Mon 05 Dec 2011, 7:43 am

There is nothing else to go on the Crankshaft between the Hornplates. As Kevin rightly says the drive to the Water Pump is via two gears on the outside of the LH Hornplates. The drive is transferred to an eccentric on the inside which in turn operates the pump ram. Access to this mechanism will clearly be restricted if the LP Eccentric Rods are left in place. I can see no reason however why these could not be removed, leaving the Eccentric Straps in place whilst the Pump Drive is being fitted. It may be possible to leave the Rods in place but I wouldn’t want to make a commitment to that until we try it.

The Crankshaft Gears all fit on the outside of the RH Hornplate.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World

Number of posts : 884

View user profile http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Mon 05 Dec 2011, 8:14 am

Hi STW

Glad of that. The crank with all its bits is getting quite heavy and difficult to handle single handed.

lynnr

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:54 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top