Wheel Lining

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wheel Lining

Post  MrStationHouse on Wed 23 Nov 2011, 5:08 am

Adam Meredith and I are working on the lining out of the wheels (the royal we that is!) The normal Burrell lining scheme is 2 bands either side of the rivets, however it is not possible on the rear due to the positioning of the rivets, what have others done?

Normal layout

Front wheel (in progress)

Rear wheel (prior to grit blasting)

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2011-04-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wheel lining

Post  Tony King on Wed 23 Nov 2011, 9:17 am

Absolutely stunning, well done!!!
Did you (the royal you) use lining brushes or a Beugler lining tool? (or both!)
I still haven't plucked up courage to line my wheels yet!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wheel Lining

Post  MrStationHouse on Wed 23 Nov 2011, 9:27 am

If you think that is good, see this one that I took before it's final varnish coat (not my wheel someone else's) hence the flatted back rim.

He does it a mixture of brush and beugler.

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Wed 23 Nov 2011, 3:49 pm

WOW!!!! Shocked

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:30 am

What sort of cost are we looking at for professional lining?

Having had a 4" Burrell for the last three years that I didnt build I got really fed up with people asking if I had made it to which I had to say no, my opinion is that I would prefere to be able to say that I have built and painted/lined the whole thing myself. After all if you have a deep enough pocket anyone can pay someone else to do it for them. Dont shoot me down in flames, it is only my opinion the same way that 1/2 of us are building showmans which I admire as an engine but wouldnt want to own and the rest of us are road loco builders.

What really p*sses me off is when an engine that has been professionally finished wins "best in show" such as a brand new engine a couple of years ago that was at a rally I was at that was only delivered the week previous and took said title as it was so clean and well presented!!

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:13 am

Not really sure about the cost just for lining, Adam is going to do most of the painting which I expect will work out at best part of a couple of Grand. But then will be at least 150 hours work. I do see where you are coming from and guess the real issue is the criteria for the judges, is it fair that "amateur" finishes are judged against "professional" finishes, but then again is best in show just simply best in show?

From my point of view the 150 hours I am saving is hard to find - that amounts to nearly a months full time work and I am happy to save that time, sure I would rather be able to say it was all my own work, but I guess those who construct it from raw materials may think it is unfair that we do it from a kit.

Life is always a choice I guess time vs money !!!

MrStationHouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:14 am

By the way have solved the problem, we are going to make some offset rivets so that we can get the line in.

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:36 pm

MrStationHouse wrote:Adam Meredith and I are working on the lining out of the wheels (the royal we that is!) The normal Burrell lining scheme is 2 bands either side of the rivets, however it is not possible on the rear due to the positioning of the rivets, what have others done?

Normal layout

Front wheel (in progress)

Rear wheel (prior to grit blasting)

With best wishes
Simon

There are Burrell livery styles (at least on SRLs have studied) that avoid the rivet area, having a line between the spoke ends rather than across them. If you can't do a lne neatly then I think it is better to leave it off.

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:14 pm

Good idea, I think we have solved the problem by adjusting the rivets/making new ones

I agree, if you can't do it neatly don't do it all!

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:28 pm

Hi Simon,

A well thought out and un inflamatory response! After I had read my post I expected a real butt kicking! I also know exactly what you mean about us kit builders vs "real" engineers and have had this comment at several rallies, there's one guy in particular who slates STW and kit building in general and in our defense I have stopped him dead by asking where his efforts are to which the reply is usually along the lines of "havent got it finished yet, dont know have a finish date in mind" But then there are also those of us who do this to get and engine we can take out at every opportunity and cover vast miles and those of us who do it for the build and then dont really do much after.

It will be very interesting to see how tha finished engines compare, we really will have to do an STW rally to line them all up, a really good marketing photo could be had there, especially for getting future orders!

Kev

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster on Fri 25 Nov 2011, 2:03 am

I think its all down to time.money,space, personal abilty etc.

We are all different and have different amounts of time, money and skill available to us, no one is right and no one is wrong as to how you achieve the end result.

Kev

Kevster

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:29 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top